Chapter 33

My lids fluttered over my eyes as I shook my head against the dream, but there was no crawling out of it. The pain killers had continually put me into a fog of dreams for the past two weeks. The fog crept in when I took them, making my head heavy as I was sedated into what should have been an easy sleep.pain killers had continually put me into a fog of dreams for the past two weeks. The fog crept in when I took them, making my head heavy as I was sedated into what should have been an easy sleep.

It wasn't.

My mind flashed with memories as they fleshed themselves out from the dreams. The names I didn't know became more and more frequent.

Tobias.

Markus.

And the one I now knew all too well, Allan.

I felt my body spasm as my mind raced again and again. My past was a movie reel I was reliving over and over again in bits and pieces. My family members faces flashed, voices hissing the names and secrets, almost inaudible until the hissing became snakes and they shed their skin to be just the same.

I shot straight up, my eyes snapping open.

"Mother F—"slipped from my mouth as I tittered, drenched in sweat.

"Kate!" Hunter shot off the loveseat where he was watching a movie and grabbed by my shoulders.

"Trash!" I croaked as I squeezed my eyes shut.

I heard Hunter rush out of the room before he returned and placed something in front of me. I didn't open my eyes to see what it was; instead, I leaned forward and retched out the contents of my stomach as my head spun with the words.retched out the contents of my stomach as my head spun with the words.retched out the contents of my stomach as my head spun with the words.retched out the contents of my stomach as my head spun with the words.

"No one will see it coming. They've never had a clue," Mother whispered to Father.

"It's the exact advantage we need. No one will expect us to have done this...to have gone this far. To have changed the hierarchy."

"Kate?" Hunter's voice pulled me out of the flashback as my parents eyes looked up at me, turning red and hissing out.parents eyes looked up at me, turning red and hissing out.

"Oh God," I moaned as I puked again. "Snakes, they're all snakes."

"Who?" Hunter asked, wiping my soaked hair from my forehead and letting his hands fall to cup my chin and hold me steady.

My chest heaved with my panic. "All of them."

"I'm confused. Are the painkillers messing with your head?"

The painkillers.

Maybe it was all the painkillers.

What I was thinking couldn't be true.

They wouldn't have done it.

And how could she have managed to keep that away from me?

My head lolled in his hands, and my mind gave way to the fog again.

A dream.

It was only a dream.

Sara couldn't be the missing piece.