Chapter 12

"I don't think we're going to make it!" I gasped as a few large drops of water plopped on my head.

"That's it, right up there!" Hunter burst into a sprint as a log cabin came into view in front of us.

"Wait up!" I yelled as I stumbled after him.

It was no use, even at his surprisingly intense sprint, we weren't going to make it. The sky opened up all at once, and I found I was soaked within in seconds. I gave up, huffing as I slowed to a jog.

When I reached Hunter he was leaning up against a tree, his head titled to the sky as the rain cascaded over his face, down his strong jaw and to his already soaked body.

"We could've made it if your feet worked right!" Hunter teased, unmoving.

"Bullshit," I snapped, crossing my arms and pouting at him.

His head lowered, and he opened his eyes. I found the breath catching in my throat as a crooked grin lifted at the edges of his lips.

"You're getting feisty now," Hunter replied.

"And you're beginning to be a giant pain in my ass," I shot back, narrowing my eyes at him.

"Am I now?"

I nodded my head, and the clever grin twisted into a seductive smile before he shot forward and flung me over his shoulder.

"What the HELL are you doing?" I yelled as he held me there by my ass.

"Getting your ass moving."

"By grabbing it and hauling me over your shoulder like a child?"

He lifted his hand just enough to smack my ass lightly before he burst into a sprint.

"You're hardly coordinated enough to run over slippery leaves," he replied, and I found myself nodding in agreement.

He was probably right.

"What does that have to do with you having your hand on my ass?" I asked, trying to ignore the fact my whole body was burning despite the freezing rain flowing over us.

"It's the easiest part of you to hold," he replied, and I felt his back rise with a silent chuckle.

"Are you saying I have a big ass?" I shot back as he suddenly stopped, and I slipped down his body.

I struggled to breathe as I looked up at him, our bodies pressed against one another with my hands resting on his shoulders. His head tilted down as he moved a soppy piece of hair out of my face.

"Your ass is perfect, Kate," he replied, his hands tight against my lower back.

I blinked at him a few times as I tried to figure out some sort of snide remark, but I couldn't get my brain to work. Not when he was pressed against me like this, dripping with rain and sexual tension.

Hunter sensed my discomfort and moved away, putting his hand in his hair as he nodded ahead of us. I hadn't wanted that, though; now, all I could feel was the cold rain.

I wanted to feel him again.

"We're here," he said, knocking me out of my flustered state.

I looked up at the building now only yards away. Its logs were covered in moss from time, and the trees were pressed tightly around it as if it was made in the middle of the trees without any effort to clear any of them out.

"Blends in, doesn't it?" I asked.

"If you're in a rush you'd never know it was here. That's the point of course," Hunter replied, and his hand moved from his hair to his neck.