Chapter 41

The mad dash for the dresses was just that, mad. The women practically climbed over one another once the men set down all of the boxes in the living room. The men then stood watching them digging through the boxes with rapt attention. I was sure it was as amusing a site for them as it was me. Hunter came in last, holding a box close to his chest and placing it down in front of Mara and I as we gaped at the women cursing at one another.

"Quietly," Mara whispered to me, bending down and opening the box. I stood with my back to her and covered the fact another box arrived.

"I'm good," she whispered as she switched positions with me, her red and black dress rolled into an inconspicuous ball.

I nodded my head and dug into the box as quietly as possible.

"Hey!" I hissed at Hunter who was looking over my shoulder. "Go away! It's supposed to be a surprise!"

"Says who?" Hunter shot back with narrowed eyes.

"Hunter!" I growled, and he rolled his eyes before stepping away.

I held the dress up and my breath caught in my throat as my eyes washed over the silky material shimmering in front of me. I closed my eyes and pressed it to me.

Nineteen—it wouldn't be so bad if I was wearing this dress.

"I'm good," I whispered to Mara as I balled it up in my hands.

"You're not going to show me?" Mara asked as she turned to face me.

I shook my head. "You're not showing me yours, are you?"

She smirked. "You get more of a surprise than me anyways."

"What does that mean?" I asked, and she winked as she walked passed and slipped out the door.