Chapter Nine: Dark as Night

Egon Wood ( E Gon )

Theresa Ashdown ( Tha Ris A )

Rayner Moonfall ( Ray Ner )

Pet: Bear Ares ( Ar Es )

Ceridwen Vix ( Care A Dwhen )

Pet: Owl Snow ( Snow )

Mali ( Mal E )

Mace Kane ( Mace )

Pet: Horse Nilas ( Neil Ass )

Duzna ( Duz Na )

Vestomer ( Ves Tom Ear )

Adisa Rathmore ( A Dis A )

Salina Mortem ( Sa LI Na )

Lilith Calarook ( Lie Lith Cal A Rook )

Talia and Sapphira ( Tal I A & Saf Fi Ra )

***********

Chapter Nine: Black as Night

Mali stood on porch of his house gazing into the field before him, watching as the children gathered 'round. Egon had worked up the courage to talk to Mace. He thought it would be a trial to make Mace listen, but to his surprise, the icy Magic Born was all ears.

Theresa slid off the back of Ares, and her expression spoke of fear. No one, except Mali, seemed to notice. Her vision, or day dream had dried the blood in her veins, and she was scared. That voice, those eyes, the shrill sound of claws on iron, and the enchanting promises the beast had given Theresa, made her wench.

Rayner peered at Ceridwen as she sat atop a bolder sharpening her arrows with a metal cluster. He had known her since Mali had recruited them, two years ago, and even though it was short amount of time, their friendship had grown. So the faint expression of sorrow that was embedded in Ceridwen's eyes, Rayner noticed, and he didn't ignore it.

Ceridwen couldn't stop thinking of her parents and she fought back the tears that were forming in her eyes. That prison, in darkness, no light, cold bodies. She couldn't fabricate the reality of it, the prison, was it even real, or a lie Mali told her to calm her stress. If her parents were still alive she would find them and she would rescue them from the hell hole they were captive in. Tenebris was no match for her, and she would do anything to find that prison.

Mali motioned for the group to trudge closer and then he spoke.

"You all might wonder as to why you will be journeying from the mountains on a mission for me." Mali paused to clear his throat and then continued. "Duzna and Vestomer have traitorous plans for the kingdom of Magur, and we cannot let them follow through, or it would mean the end of all the Magic Born."

"What do you mean the end of all Magic Born? Is he planning to exterminate our species?" Theresa questioned.

"Sadly, my dear, much worse than that. All the details have not made themselves known to me, but I have learned enough to know that you all need to journey to my brother's camp, or the Magic Born will not be tested next year, because there will be no more to test."

A ripple of frightened expression bounced from one face to another as the words left Mali's mouth.

"Your brother?" Theresa asked, perplexed.

"Yes, we are twins, and after The Great Castle Fire he fled out of Magur's reach, were he was untouchable by Vestomer's rage. It is said he has an outpost, and has been gathering Magic Born to overthrow the King."