Chapter Twenty-Two: Into the Mouth of the Sea

          Theresa stood at the entrance of the outpost as Adisa and Ceridwen raced by on the backs of Artemis and Apollo. Nassar walked up with a scowl prominent on his face.

"I thought I told you to find us a way to get to the sea!" Nassar voice hissed out in a threaten tone.

Theresa stood unfazed by his crude comment. Instead of humoring Nassar by replying, she raised her fingers to her lips and whistled. In a flash Nyx leapt out from behind a tent and raced to Theresa's side, emitting a low humming growl directed towards Nassar.

"Hop on." Theresa smirked as Nassar stood still, his body speaking of no impressment, but his eyes spoke of shock. He climbed onto the back of Nyx and Theresa mounted Nyx in front of Nassar.

The two Magic Born rode in silence, minus the constant inaudible groans produce by Nassar every time Nyx stumbled or hit a dip in the earth. Theresa closed her eyes and let the wind wash her hair in its breath. She watched as the horizon ahead opened into a vast ocean. A smile gently found a way to Theresa's face, as Nyx bolted towards the sea. But her expression of glee was quickly dubbed for a perplexed gaze when she thought of their mission.

"How exactly do we get the Fulgur scale?" Theresa broke the silence as she pondered aloud.

Nassar rolled his eyes as if her question was incompetent and foolish.

"Obviously we can't walk up and ask for a scale...We're going to have to kill it." Nassar tone mimicked that of a mother talking to a child, mocking Theresa's question.

Nyx stop, Theresa commanded her panther to cease moving, with only a thought. Nyx slammed her claws into the ground. As Theresa gripped into Nyx's silky fur, Nassar, caught off guard by the sudden stop, was tossed onto the ground.

Theresa sat atop Nyx, glaring down at Nassar as he pushed back his mangled blonde hair and sprang to a stand.

"What is the matter with that stupid animal of yours." Nassar barked.

Nyx growled and raised her upper lip, revealing her razor-sharp fangs.

Theresa jumped off of Nyx and used her powers to knock Nassar back on his behind.

"No! What is that matter with you, ever since we arrived you've been nothing but rude and a totally prick." Theresa extended her hand and willing Nassar's body to the ground, gluing him to the earth with her mind.

"Are you insane? Let me up!" Nassar roared, gritting his teeth as he tried to break free of Theresa's invisible barrier of energy.

"Answer my question and maybe I will." Theresa replied a smirk tugging on the edge of her lips, trying to hid from view.

"I have a better idea, witch." Nassar closed his eyes and dug his fingers into the dirt he laid on. A monstrous root snaked through the ground until it reached Theresa's feet and tackled her to the dirt, twisting around her and restraining her to the earth.

Nassar jumped to his feet, now free form Theresa's bind. Nyx turned her attention towards Nassar, as Theresa thrashed on the ground. Nassar's eyes turned dark green, and he swept his hands forward, commanding a gigantic vine to blast Nyx aside.

Theresa stopped sprawling like a helpless damsel.

"Nyx!" A fire ignited in Theresa's muddy eyes, as they turned volcanic with fury.

"Tell your kitty to stand down next time." Nassar laughed as he flashed a cold glace towards the unconscious panther on the ground.

A blaze exploded in Theresa's stomach, like a firework corroding the night sky with searing blue flames. She let out a battle cry as she willed the root off her body. Nassar grunted in annoyance and threw his hands forward sending a wave of land vipers, bark and granite as skin, towards Theresa's body.