Chapter Twelve: Unforeseen Discoveries

Egon Wood ( E Gon )

Theresa Ashdown ( Tha Ris A )

Rayner Moonfall ( Ray Ner )                                                                               

Pet: Bear Ares ( Ar Es )

Ceridwen Vix ( Care A Dwhen )

Pet: Owl Snow ( Snow )

Mali ( Mal E )

Mace Kane ( Mace )

Pet: Horse Nilas ( Neil Ass )

Duzna ( Duz Na )

Vestomer ( Ves Tom Ear )

Adisa Rathmore ( A Dis A )

Salina Mortem ( Sa LI Na )

Lilith Calarook ( Lie Lith Cal A Rook )

Talia and Sapphira ( Tal I A & Saf Fi Ra )

Chapter Twelve: Unforeseen Discoveries

Ceridwen and Egon raced through the forest, Ceridwen on Artemis, Egon on Apollo. Egon pulled on the horses reins, and came to a complete stop. Ceridwen halted Artemis and turned around when she no longer heard Apollo's footsteps.

"And you stopped why?" Ceridwen asked with a hint of annoyance in her tone. 

"How are we going to find the shell? This forest is huge, it's like looking for a shell in the ocean, but in the forest..."

Ceridwen flashed a glaze of un-amusement at Egon's shot at a joke. "Simple. We don't..." Ceridwen smiled and continued to ride.

          "What? Now we can't just leave, because I'm NOT going without my staff!" Egon emphasized the word not, then kicked Apollo to catch up with Ceridwen.  

"Oh don't bust a vein. We aren't giving in to the temptresses' little quest, but we are getting you staff back." Ceridwen informed.

"And how is that...?" Egon urged Apollo to trot so he was side by side with Ceridwen.

"I've heard tale of a plant that grows in this forest. It's said to produce juicy berries, which if consumed, allow you to control the one you fed."

"And I suppose you think Sapphira is willingly going to eat the berry?" Egon questioned.

Ceridwen let out a laugh. "Not for one second do I believe that. But I have my ways of persuasion."

***

"Lilith should've already reached the children!" Vestomer scolded Duzna. "So why hasn't she brought back their remains?!?" With every word the king inched higher and higher until he was looming over Duzna with his final remark.

"Sire, I can't answer that─" Duzna was cut off before he could finish.

"Of course you can't!" Vestomer growled.

"But..." Duzna replied.

"But what?!" Vestomer sunk back into his throne.

"I can insure they do not succeed on their mission." Duzna smiled. He rose from his bow, turned and calmly strolled to the doors of the throne room. Vestomer scratched his beard and massaged his temples, not impressed with Duzna's statement.