Chapter Twenty-Four: An Eye of Gold

    Egon's fingers were intertwined in Mercury's fur, as they trailed behind Mace and Nilas, who were galloping towards the mountain. Egon turned and noticed the slightest of nods produced by Rayner as he and Lilith vanished into the Dark Forest.

Egon breathed in a chunk of courage and narrowed his eyes on the horizon. Mace's axes dangled from the sides of his hips and with every step of Nilas the weapons bounced.

Egon had packed light, a few apples in case he grew hungry, nothing immense, if he was in need of a meal he believed whole heartedly he was a sufficient enough hunter to kill prey quickly. Also in the saddle bag he carried, a map of the mountain, he received from Rolland right before they left, and a canteen of water.

Egon willed Mercury to catch up to Mace, by nudging the animal in the ribs.

"Are we making camp half way up?" Egon asked Mace.

Mace furred his brow in contemplation, but shook off his conflicting thoughts.

"No, we need that bloody dragon eye as soon as possible." Mace replied. Egon pulled out the map and a sea of accomplishment washed over his being.

"Mace wait!"

Egon pulled back on Mercury's fur, and the animal dug its claw in the ground coming to a halt.

Mace slowed the speed on Nilas and brought the horse around to the side of Egon.

Egon handed the map to Mace.

"What the bloody blight am I looking at?" Mace complained, in the dark of Egon's findings.

A short cut! Look, if we go around to the left we can get to the cave in half the time." Egon's smile spoke of the glee he found with himself.

"Blimey...You're right..." Mace tucked the map into his cloak and snapped Nilas's reins. Egon tightened the loose strap, holding his staff across his back, and commanded Mercury to follow Mace.

***

    The two winded their way through thick foliage and navigated their way around crumbling cliffs. The sun was falling into a sleep, and her light was fading, the sky being raided by millions of radiant stars.

Mace stopped and swung his leg over the side of his horse and brought the animal's mussel to meet his forehead.

"Nilas I need you to run, and disappear, you can't be here when we fight the dragon, I can't let you die protecting me..." The horse neighed in rebuttal. A tear glossed down Mace's pale cheeks and turned to frost as it hit the ground.

"You have to! I'm not asking, now go!" The horse reared up and pawed the air, but as soon as his feet hit the ground he took off into the woods and disappeared.

"We are almost there, you should send Mercury away, as well." Mace said to Egon as he brushed passed him, and headed higher up the mountain.

After Egon had commanding his lion to leave his side, he raced to Mace's side.

"Ok captain, what's the plan?"

Mace pulled both axes from their sheaths, twirling the one in his right hand.

"We find that cave..."

Egon nodded and removed his staff from his back. Egon trailed behind Mace, brushing their way through the dark night and condensed branches.

Mace stopped dead in his tracks and held up a hand demanding stillness. Egon planted his staff on the ground and hunched behind Mace.

"Light" Mace's tone was hushed but commanding.