Prologue

A/N the video is my book trailer!!! Check it out!!!

Prologue

15 years ago

1300 AD

          The Kingdom of Magur was fed up with the King's way of ruling. Sure, history has had its fair share of unfair, unjust czars, but Vestomer was despicably evil. He, as a king, as a male figure the children should look up to, didn't care if his kingdom suffered, as long as he gained from the wreckage. He sat upon his throne and mocked the poor, sick peasants as they slaved away for no gain of their own. Except garneted safety from rival kingdoms, and food every month. Of course Vestomer would keep the delectable goods for him and his court. The village people only received what they needed in order to scrape by. If he could give them less without them dying, he would.

A group of people who called themselves the Rebels decided it was time for Vestomer's rule to end. There were only nine or ten of them yet they would put up a fight. Some pondered, how could ten humans put up a fight with a massive army of well-trained knights? Because, they weren't human. Few in the village, men and woman, realized they could do incredible things: move objects without lifting a finger, conjure water and fire at will, grow massive oak trees with only a thought, or even speak to animals.

Every night Vestomer would drift into his dreams, he would post guards by his doors. But every night there would a change in shifts, at midnight. So for a brief moment there would be no one to stop the Rebels from waltzing into the King's chambers. Their plan was fool-proof: they would sneak into the castle at night, pass the guards, and go into the king's chambers where he lay in a deep sleep. There they would set the room on fire, and barricade the door, and by the time the king woke he would be trapped in a cage of flames. The Rebels would make it look like an accident by clogging the chimney in Vestomer's chambers and none would suspect murder. Although, even if anyone believed it to be murder, the village people wouldn't care. Everyone, except for the nobles and the knights who were blinded by the kindness and wealth they received from Vestomer, hated the king's guts and would gladly watch him die without drop of compassion in their eyes.

The witches and wizards would have succeeded if they were not betrayed by Duzna, a strange, lonely, but powerful wizard. His mind was boggled; he believed he was some sort of god, that he needed to rule because of the powers he was born with. Vestomer used his blindness against him, he told Duzna if he would lock the witches and wizards into the room on the night of the mission and set fire to the chambers Duzna would one day rule beside Vestomer. Duzna believed the cunning vipers lies, and tried to killed his friends. Few escaped the torturous flames set by their friend. Those who were lucky enough to evade the hands of death forever hide in the shadows, concealing their powers from the world. Ever since that night, at the dawn of every New Year, Vestomer commands Duzna to gather all the children at the age of sixteen to be tested. Duzna extracts their blood and tests it for magical properties. If the child happens to be born of magic, the child is imprisoned and then killed in front of the entire kingdom as a message for what happened fifteen years ago, to never take place again.