Falling In and Out of Love Part 1

Love is a difficult subject for a lot of people. You can fall in love with a variety of things, another person, a car, a tv show, technology, food and many other things.

For me being single is often a frustrating annoyance. A lot of times I'll head out and fall in and out of love several times in one night.

Does a person fall in and out of love the way Hollywood portrays it? Does something just happen and the light switch flips on or off in our romantic relationships?

Or, is falling in and out of love an involved process that takes time and the development of key elements? In my opinion, along with many relationship experts, the latter is the most accurate explanation.

When people ask you 'what is love' what do you think of.

LOVE IS: …

Read some thoughts about "love" from famous people through the ages ….

Plato:

Love is the pursuit of the whole.

Robert Frost:

Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired.

George Sand:

There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved.

Jean Anouilh:

Love is, above all, the gift of oneself.

D.H. Lawrence:

One must learn to love, and go through a good deal of suffering to get to it… and the journey is always towards the other soul.

La Rochefoucauld:

There is only one kind of love, but there are a thousand different versions.

H.L. Mencken:

Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.

Erich Fromm:

Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person; it is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love.

Euripides:

Love distills desire upon the eyes; Love brings bewitching grace into the heart.

Thomas Carlyle:

Love is the only game that is not called on account of darkness.

Alexander Smith:

Love is but the discovery of ourselves in others, and the delight in the recognition.

M. Scott Peck:

I define love thus: The will to extend one’s self for the purpose of nurturing one’s own or another’s spiritual growth.

Nathanial Brandon:

Romantic love is not a myth waiting to be discarded, but, for most of us, a discovery waiting to be born.

Boris Pasternak:

Compared to other feelings, love is an elemental cosmic force wearing a disguise of meekness... It is not a state of mind; it is the foundation of the universe.

Samuel Butler:

God is love — I dare say. But what a mischievous devil love is!

Antoine de Saint-Exupery:

Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.

Blaise Pascal:

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

The Prophet, Kahlil Gibran:

Love has no other desire but to fulfill itself.

But if you love and must needs have desires, let these be your desires:

To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night.

To know the pain of too much tenderness.

To be wounded by your own understanding of love;

And to bleed willingly and joyfully