how to get out of detention

1.  Try saying the infamous line, "Do you really want to spend more time with me after school than absolutely necessary?" Any teacher will usually drop the subject pretty quickly. You can also say something along the lines of, "It'll never happen again," or "Sorry I didn't mean to do it.

2.  Blame it on someone else. Be vague about it, but clear enough so that it is known that you are not the guilty party. Make it someone obvious, like the school troublemaker, not the valedictorian.

3.  If there is a new teacher/student in your school, try to shift the blame toward them. It's very easy for new people to get lost, and hopefully the teacher will understand if you say you were just trying to help.

4. Cry. Tears won't usually get you out of it, especially if you are a reoccuring troublemaker, but the teacher/principal might go softer on you.

5. Try to make it embarrassing for yourself. If the teacher asks why you had to spend so much time in the bathroom, say you had diarrhea. Even if something like this fails, convince them this is true by saying something like, "Why would I lie about something as embarassing as that?".

6.  Say that you will talk to your teacher after class. This gives you more time to think of an excuse but it will not be as embarrassing to say that embarrassing excuse. It will also give the teacher a favorable impression of you, as if you actually want to solve the problem. This is one thing that will almost always work. Be mature about it.

7. Try freedom of speech or making a rule after the fact. This can also blow up in your face so use it as a last resort. Say that you have the right to remain silent, but only if you are daring and are willing to try ANYTHING.

8.  Try to make the teacher feel bad for you like saying a pet died. This works best if you say you were off crying in the bathroom about your loss. Well, if it looks like you were crying.

9.  Does the teacher have proof, without reasonable doubt, you did it? Ask for proof you did it, and look confident, they may see your expression as proof.

10.  Try to get a note from one of your parents explaining why you don't deserve or can't serve the detention. If your parents are understanding/cool, they might do this for you. If your parents aren't able to send a note to the school, see if they'll call the teacher and talk them out of making you serve the detention.

11.  If you're on good terms with the principal or the assistant principal, talk to him/her. If the principal/assistant knows that you have a good reputation he/she might be able to get you out of the detention, especially if the teacher has no good reason for issuing it in the first place.

12.  If you came in late for your first period or homeroom and are to be issued a detention in response to that, try this excuse: "My alarm clock goes off by playing my iPod on the docking station," using terms that involve more modern technology designed for your age group may make it a little more confusing for some "electronically challenged" teachers, which is a good thing here as if they ask you can explain which may put you in a more favorable position, "and this morning, it was pushed out of the slot slightly and the music didn't play. I got up late and didn't have the time to get here as fast." If you've forgotten supplies, claim that you woke up late and were in a rush and forgot it.

13.  Some teachers will get in your face and stare you in the eye to make you nervous and detect lies. Don't let this phase you. remain calm and cool, and smile. Stare back into their eyes. Don't be afraid.

14. Be polite. No matter what you do, use "yes, ma'am," and "excuse, me" and do not interrupt. Listen to what they say and (at least pretend to) care. Be nice and let them know it won't happen again- and, er, then never let it happen again.

GOOD LUCK