Chapter 1

Be warned. I made some changes to "Escape From the Witch Hunters" for the edited version, and so I'm changing some things that will affect(?) this book as well. :D Like the fact that Rhone has no ^ above it, simply because I am too lazy to copy and paste, and I have no idea how to actually type it out. Anyway. Here is chapter 1.

 Ami slumped in her chair as her father read the letter of doom to her.

"-I am very sorry for not being able to help you fulfill the alliance, but since I am already married I'm afraid I have to say no. My deepest regrets to you all, signed, Gillian McCormack." the King set the letter down on the table and sighed. "I was afraid of that."

He looked up sadly at Ami. "You know what this means Ami."

Ami avoided his gaze glumly and her lower lip protruded.

"It means that you will have to be sent to Carenthia instead." he continued, choosing to ignore her pouting. "I'll send a letter to the King and Queen of Carenthia as soon as we're done here. And then you will go as soon as you are ready."

Ami huffed and scooted back into an upright position. "Yes, Father. I'll go pack."

She stood up, lifted her skirts, and gracefully made her way to her bedroom where she collapsed on her bed.

"I don't want to marry him!" she let out a frustrated cry.

"Now now Miss Amélia." her personal maid entered the room and set a tray down on her dressing table. "He can't be so bad."

Ami sat up. "Oh yes he can! When I last saw him he was a pig-brained boy who hated me because I didn't want to go outside in the rain, I didn't want to toss a ball with him, and then he had the nerve to get my favorite violet dress muddy!"

She flopped back down on her bed.

"He's older now, he's a Prince. He's probably much better." the maid, whose name was Edwina, folded up Amélia's shawl that she had left hanging on the chair. "He's almost old enough to rule the country. I'm sure he isn't like he used to be."

"Ugh." Ami rolled over and rested her chin on her pillow. "I still don't want to! If he looked good and was mean, I could bear it. But when I saw him, he had an ugly face, and was very mean."

"Amélia!" Edwina scolded. "That is a very rude thing to say, even if he was mean. Besides, it's what's on the inside that matters"

"Is. He still is mean" Ami corrected. "And I don't care if it's rude. He was rude to me."

"That's not what God would want you to do." Edwina shook her head.

Ami frowned deeper but didn't argue with her.

"The rest of your breakfast is on your table. You know how to eat it." Edwina smiled at Ami and opened the door, revealing the Queen.

Edwina curtsied and got out of the Queen's way.

"Excuse us, Edwina." the Queen let Edwina shut the door before walking over to where Ami lay. "Ami, your Father and I have some news for you."

Ami sat up and was still frowning.

"It's good, in a way, and also a bit bad." she sat down next to her.

Ami raised an eyebrow.

"I'm expecting a baby." the Queen looked almost fearfully at Ami, unsure as to what reaction to expect.

Ami's eyebrows shot up even farther. "Really? Why's that bad news?"

"Well," she paused, "the physicians say that I should not be traveling in my condition and of course Father would never leave me here by myself."