Chapter 20

Not implying anything at all

Also, inline comments are boss. And I will love you forever if you write inline comments. ❤

"Ami! Delightful to see you again," Lars turned to Jack. "And...you."

Jack glared daggers (at least that was what it looked like he was attempting to do) into Lars and he did not look any friendlier.

"Lars, what is the meaning of this? Why am I tied up? Surely this is a big mistake!" Ami was confident that there had been a mix-up and Lars would be returned to their land within the hour.

Lars' expression changed from menacing to thoughtful. "You're quite right Ami, there has been a mistake." he turned to the steps and shouted. "Robert! Get there prisoners to more, comfortable quarters! Scratch that. Just get Ami into better quarters!"

"Aye, Captain!" a voice sounded from above.

Doubt weaved its way into Ami's mind. Was this a dream? Was this really Lars? Was this the unarguably handsome man she had fought with on the upper deck?

"Lars, what's going on?" she asked, though less confident than before.

"He's taken us captive, the blithering idiot. Isn't it obvious?" Jack said. He looked like a chained tiger, wishing it could strike its captor, ripping it to shreds.

Ami (only for a moment) got distracted by a strand of hair in Jack's eyes, that fell out of his ponytail.

"Is he right, Lars?" asked Ami.

"No. He's never right," Lars wrinkled his nose at Jack. "You both are my guests aboard the Valerie, and will be until both of your parents pay me to return you."

"Why you thieving scoundrel!" Jack lunged. Unfortunately, the ropes kept him from reaching Lars.

Lars laughed.

Ami slumped against the wall. "Lars," he gave her his attention, "why?"

"I won't pretend I don't know what you're talking about - I just won't tell you," he laughed again as if he were the funniest person the Great Father created, "I'm joking with you, don't give me such a serious look, really, Ami. But it's for money. What else? Both of your parents are rich. I could be well off for the rest of my life. Imagine all of the possibilities! And, I could become important, then no one would ever say no to me! Not Valeska's uncle, not my father or mother, not the King himself could stand up to me.

"Do you know how much power I wield? Soon, I will have the King and Queen of Carenthia and Rhone begging me for their son and daughter. Begging me!"

Ami stared at him.

"Aren't you going to say something? Aren't you going to congratulate me? Or maybe yell at me and say how impossible this scheme is."

"Yes, I will!" Jack fumed. "You will never get money from my parents and you will certainly never get any from Ami's parents-"