Chapter 17

Hello world! Do me a favor and check out my first book in this series "Escape from the Witch Hunters" on Inkitt! It's in an actual contest and if I get 100 copies gone, I'll enter the second round, so whether you're a silent reader or not, help me out! Thanks guys! (Link at the end of the chapter.)

Ami jerked awake. Why had she awakened so suddenly?

Oh.

Today was the day. Today was the day she was marrying Prince Jacques. Today was the day that she would become the bride of a Carenthian Prince.

"Good morning, Your Highness," Heather was near her bed, setting some things on the foot of her bed. "Ready for the big day?"

"To be completely honest with you, no," Ami replied. She sat up and rubbed her eyes. "Am I expected to eat breakfast with the Royal family?"

"The Queen sent up a big meal for you, Your Highness," Heather folded one last thing before setting it on the bed and walked over to her table, picking up a tray full of food. "Here you are. Would you like anything else, Your Highness?"

"No, thank you, Heather. I'll just eat this and call for you when I'm done," Ami managed a small smile.

Heather curtsied and left the room.

Ami looked at her tray. That is a lot of food.

The Queen burst into Ami's room. "Ami! Don't touch that food!"

Ami quickly dropped her spoon and recoiled slightly. "Why? What's wrong?"

"Yesterday, Madison ate with us, since you were absent and so he was eating your food, well actually we believe it came from the wine but anyway, I just found out this morning that apparently all through the night he was retching and he just was having a terrible time and so we think someone was trying to poison you. Thankfully for Mad, he only had a sip of your wine, he thought it tasted a bit funny and so he stopped there but because he didn't want to offend us he didn't mention the funny taste, as no one else seemed to notice. But I don't want you to eat that food."

"Yes, Your Majesty," Ami looked at the Queen with wide eyes.

"Come, let's get you ready for the wedding," the Queen said.

She ushered her out of bed and the servants helped bathe her, perfume her hair and then came the corset. The wonderful corset that she used to get her waist sixteen inches thin.

"I can go tighter," Ami held onto the wooden part of her bed.

"Careful, not too tight," Katherine warned. She leaned close to Ami. "Jack told me what happened and that won't happen again, I can assure you."

Jack told the Queen? Ami swallowed. "I hope and pray it never happens again."

"Is that too tight, Your Highness?" a servant asked.

"That's perfect, thank you," she took a deep breath, to see if she could manage it. Yes, she could still breath.

"Now, are you ready to see the final version of your wedding gown?" the Queen looked ecstatic.

Ami smiled for her sake. "Yes," although to be perfectly frank, she was not looking forward to it, as it was a hot day and all of those layers of fluff did not appeal.

Two servants brought in the soft white gown.

It looks different.

Ami voiced her thoughts. "It looks different."

"That is because I had it changed quite a bit," the Queen said gleefully. "I looked into Rhone's style and then I took into consideration the weather and decided that your other gown was too dreadfully hot and so I had another one made."