Chapter 7

"The difference between love and infatuation: love is an action. It's something you chose to do. Infatuation is the word that most people confuse with love, when it is not at all the same thing."

Jack and Portia continued to talk well into the day and when it seemed that they had run out of things to talk about, the ship was in port and ready for the Prince to get on, or the Princess to get off.

"I should really go and greet the Princess to the wonderful land of Carenthia." Jack let Portia's hand drop from his arm.

Portia nodded reluctantly. "I don't suppose that I could - I mean to say, could - oh never mind."

"If the Princess is feeling like being nice - for once in her life - I will try to persuade her to meet you." Jack confirmed and looked on the deck of The Valerie. Was he supposed to meet her up there? Or was she supposed to meet him down here? He shook his head. It would be best not to take any chances and make sure she didn't get lost. Or worse, captured in the shuffle. He would meet her on The Valerie.

"Oh thank you, Jack!" Portia threw her arms around his neck. Jack stiffened. He didn't necessarily like the feeling of having a woman in his arms, and so he quickly patted her back before backing up.

"You're quite welcome." he turned to go, then faced her once more. "Could you be a dear and go tell my guards that I've gone to meet the Princess?"

"Yes, of course." she said breathlessly. "Goodbye! I'll be waiting at the inn."

<><><>

Jack sat in the rowboat, which had a few other occupants besides himself, and looked up at The Valerie. It was an intimidating ship to be sure. It peaked his curiosity and he wondered if all of Rhone's ships were so fascinating.

"Here we are." one of the boat rowers latched onto the rope which went up the side of the ship to the top of the deck.

"Thank you." Jack tossed him a couple coins. "I should be fine."

Jack forgot to notice that he had not cleaned himself up from his journey from the castle, he hadn't dressed properly, and at that moment, he didn't even look like the Prince of Carenthia. Or the prince of anywhere. One might have mistaken him for a peasant if it wasn't for the regal air he had about himself.

He started climbing up the rope ladder. I wonder if the Princess will throw a fit since she can't walk down the plank onto land and instead has to climb down a rope ladder, he almost snickered to himself and hoisted himself over the side of the ship, landing on the main deck.

"Excuse me!" a sailor called. "Excuse me! You can't be on this ship unless-"

"I am the Prince of Carenthia and I expect to be treated that way." Jack had a puzzled, and yet slightly disgusted, look on his face. Didn't the sailor know the Prince when he saw him?

<><><>

Ami heard a shout outside of her door. She strained her ears, quietly pressing her ear to the door. "I can't hear a word they're saying." she mumbled to herself and opened the door, walking down off of the poop deck and onto the main deck.

She saw a young man arguing with one of the sailors she identified as Robert. "Robert? Is there a problem? Who is that young man you're arguing with-" Ami's eyes went wide as the stranger turned in her direction and her eyes inspected his face. It was quite handsome; his dark hair pulled back, she thought she saw a silver streak in his eyes but she couldn't be sure, and his frame was quite attractive.

"This young man is on board of our ship without-" Robert started.

"I have the papers to prove that I really am who I say I am to be." the stranger scowled at Robert and digged in one of his pockets. "Here you are." he handed them to Robert.