Chapter 22

My face when I ask for inline comments and don't get them:

marciano97 I finished writing this chapter last night (technically this morning

marciano97 I finished writing this chapter last night (technically this morning...) at 12 something, JUST SO YOU COULD COMMENT INLINE. May or may not be kidding. (But pweeeeeeeeeeese comment?)

And without further ado, chapter 22.

"We can't run away," Ami said.

"And why not?" Jack frowned.

"We're surrounded by miles of water!" Ami waved her hand towards the shore where they landed just hours before.

"How do you know?" he squinted at her.

Ami crossed her arms. "Cheffy the Cook said so."

"Miles? I think that's an exaggeration," Jack crossed his arms, "and we can always steal a boat or maybe swim part of the way or-"

"I can't swim," Ami looked down at the dirt on her torn slippers.

She noticed that Jack's shoes were dirty and torn as well.

"I'll teach you."

Ami's head snapped up. She had dipped her feet in water when she was a little girl, but she never fully submerged at a river or beach. Swimming was practically hearsay in Rhone.

"I found a lagoon. I saw it when we were walking here from the ship," Jack said. "We could practice there."

"But swimming," she bit her lip.

Jack clenched his teeth together in a sad attempt for a grin. He didn't glare. He didn't hiss. Or make a snarky comment about her inability to swim.

Instead, he pleaded silently, as if teaching her to swim was his way of saying sorry.

"Alright. When do we start and what should I wear?" she looked down at her dress. She certainly wasn't going to wear layers of weighty material, but she definitely wasn't going to wear anything less.

"Tomorrow breakfast starts at the third bell. We could start before the first bell has a chance to ring," he said, "and as for your outfit..."

He walked circle around her. Ami wondered if her dress was bunched up. What if he sees and laughs at the dress? 

"Steal Eric's clothes. He's still scrawny. And you can just roll up the pant legs and shirt sleeves."

Ami breathed. That would work. Although she cringed at the thought of showing any ankle or leg. What would Mother say if she knew I was showing ankle? Ami shook her head. Desperate times called for desperate measures.

"What if we get caught? Will Lars lock us up again?" she asked.

Jack rolled his eyes. "Forget about Lars. He's a big phoney who isn't half as big as he thinks he is."