Chapter 18

Dedicated to DodgeFTW9405 for being a faithful supporter and yes, I got your message. This chapter is for you.

"Might I congratulate the happy couple?"

Ami turned around to see Madison, pale and a hint of green, but standing on his own two feet, grinning like his usual self.

"Are you quite alright? First, we are just about anything but happy and second I don't think you're well enough to be out and about," Ami frowned and shielded her eyes from the sinking sun.

Jack was currently absorbed in other tasks and was not by his wife's side.

"I assure you that I am well enough to be standing before my future Queen. And," Mad lowered his voice, "the King and Queen had the cup of wine inspected and it has indeed been poisoned. Your meal, however, was left untouched."

Ami frowned. "What poison was it? Why would they leave my food alone, yet poison my wine? Who would try to poison me? And why would they do it? How am I to know if my cup isn't poisoned?" she lifted her glass to Madison's level.

"First, it had to have been someone with access to the kitchen and also they would have had to poisoned the single cup, as none of the other wines had been tampered with. Second, in my personal opinion, I think someone was trying to make it look like the Carenthian Royals killed the Princess of Rhone."

Ami gasped.

"And I really don't know if your cup right there is poisoned or not," Mad said.

"What type of poison was it?" Ami's eyes found Jack and stayed trained on him.

"The nectar from the colorless poppy, which, if you ingest enough of it, can be deadly," Madison followed her gaze and he realized what she was thinking. "You don't suspect Jack do you?"

Ami tore her eyes away from Jack, who was talking to the King and Queen, looking none too happy. "I don't know Mad. Deep down, I know he isn't capable of such, but - he hates me. What am I supposed to think? He had access to my wine cup. He could do anything, I -"

"Ami," Madison's eyebrows furrowed. "Jack, as cold as he pretends to be, is not capable of murder. Besides, he wouldn't have had a chance to do it. You must banish the thought."

Ami looked at Madison blankly, then sighed. "I suppose you're right."

"Trying to convince my wife to run away with you?" Jack approached the two. "Because if so, be my guest."

Ami looked at Madison as if to say I told you so.

"Actually," Jack sat down on his chair and scooted in. "Ami and I are going in a trip. Starting, say, in a few minutes."

Madison raised an eyebrow. "You are going in a trip? I don't believe you have been permitted to take trip. Not until after today's events anyway."

"Oh really? Watch us," Jack raised an eyebrow. "Mother and Father won't know until we're gone."

"Then it will be my responsibility to tell them." Madison's expression scared Ami. It was the most serious she had ever seen it, almost challenging. "If you don't complete this day and finish the marriage, do you know how bad that would look on our part? Do you know how much trouble we could get in?"

"I won't."

Madison stood up suddenly and he glared at Jack. "Just because you're a prince, does not give you the right to be a brat. Why don't you man up and live with the life you've been given?"

Jack's jaw tensed and he stood up as well.

Ami nervously looked around. Several people were murmuring at the stare down between the two men who were said to be like brothers.