Chapter 24

This chapter starts right where the last one left off

This chapter starts right where the last one left off. In the finished product, chapter 23 and 24 will be combined into one. :) WHICH MEANS IT WILL BE LONGER WOO HOO. But that doesn't help you guys currently...

Also, in case I haven't mentioned this recently...I <3 inline comments. ;)

Lars followed the messenger boy back up the cellar steps and into the light. The door squeaked back into place.

Silence filled the dungeon. That was, until the thunderclouds rolled over the small island. The wind could be heard, rushing through the trees; the rumble of thunder reverberated through the dungeon.

The rain could be heard, pelting the rich vegetation of the island, and assaulting the dirt and sand ground.

Ami felt a blob of water splash onto her hair. She scooted backwards until her back was against the dirt cell wall. A drop fell in front of her face.

Another drop — one second. Sixty more drops — one minute, Ami counted the steady dripping water droplets that flew in front of her face. The drops started dripping faster, and showed no signs of stopping.

The dungeon was a leaky one, and didn't hold up very well when the tropical rainstorms hit. She wondered if they were in danger of the whole thing collapsing. She didn't voice her thoughts.

The clouds rumbled. The rain continued. Jack slept on.

An hour passed. Another hour passed.

Jack slept with a grimace on his face. Though he was asleep, he couldn't escape the pain of his raw, exposed flesh.

The hours ticked by, and Jack received no medical attention.

Ami imagined all of the fatal diseases seeping into his skin, festering his bloodstream, and Death poking a hole through his heart. She flinched.

You care, Ami stopped breathing for a second. You care about Jack. You care about what happens to him.

She looked at Jack's face. His eyebrows furrowed and his mouth pouted.

If he dies, he'll die without ever knowing his Savior. He'll be forever condemned with no second chance, she shivered at the thought. And it seems it would be my fault for being such a bad example. I've been snobbish. I've been a brat. I've acted selfishly. It's no wonder Jack doesn't think it's so special to have a relationship with God.

"Father, please don't let him die in this awful place. I promise I'll try my best to be a good witness for you," she bit her lip. "Or rather, use me in Jack's life. I need Your help."

Jack hadn't twitched since he got dragged into the cell, hours earlier.

Ami crawled around the dripping rain and sat at Jack's side.

"Jack?" she gently nudged him.

He barely moved. She waited a minute.

"Jack?" she poked him once more.