Chapter 10

"The only reason you're getting chapters is because @joybells3 is so enthusiastic about getting new chapters." -Me :D Tee hee hee

Ami looked at the camp of guards. She looked at the horses. Then wrinkled her nose. There was no carriage. Absolutely nothing she could ride on besides a horse.

"Of course I had to inherit Mother's fear of riding horses." she tried her best not to pout. "Why did I ever try to convince Father not to give me riding lessons? And whyever did he consent?"

"Good morning, Princess." a voice sounded beside her. "Do you know how to ride?"

She glanced up at the Prince. "Of course I do. Don't all Princesses?"

"I don't know. My sister is too young to ride and I don't know any other Princesses besides you." Jack crossed his arms. "Of course my mother loved to ride. And she was quite good at it."

"Well I do know how." she crossed her arms as well.

"So then you won't need to ride with anyone. Correct?" he asked with a smug smile. Almost as if he could sense her fear of horses.

"No, I will be quite fine riding by myself, thank you."

"Very well." he walked to his beast and mounted. "If you're having trouble, you can always ride with Portia."

She tensed. She would never ride with Portia and especially never admit that she was terrible at riding. How am I supposed to manage riding nonstop for almost a week? Not to mention look like I'm good at it, she sighed, I need help, Father.

Then she frowned. Was she supposed to ask help from Him for the sake of her pride? Surely He would understand just this once.

"May I ask why you don't have a carriage for me to ride in? Isn't that how you are supposed to transport me?" she called after him.

"Because the terrain is too rough and not suited for a carriage." he answered slowly as if talking to a child. "Aren't you going to get onto your horse, Princess?" the Prince asked from on top of his high horse. "We can't just stand around all day if we ever want to get to the castle."

She glared at his cheekiness and looked at her horse. He looked stable enough. For a horse.

She grabbed the horse's reins, put her foot in the stirrup, and then realized that it was not the type of saddle that she was used to riding. "What is this strange contraption?"

"It's called a saddle." Jack smiled wickedly. "Don't you have those back in Rhone?"

"Yes, of course we do." she glared back. "But ladies do not straddle their horses in Rhone."

"Does that mean you cannot ride? Portia!" he called. "You're in need over here. Our new Princess does not know how to ride in Carenthia's saddles. Or rather, she does not know how to straddle a horse. Would you let her ride with you?"

Portia faked a smile for the Prince, not fooling Ami for a minute. "Come along, Princess."

"Thank you, no." Ami said in a polite tone. "If one of the guards could be bothered to show me how, I'm sure I could pick it up very quickly."

Jack raised an eyebrow then dismounted. "You really shouldn't bother any of the guards, as they are here to protect us, not to show the incapable Princess how to ride."

He walked over to Ami and her horse. "This is how you get on." he started to get on the horse.

"One minute." she put a hand on his arm to stop him. "How am I supposed to ride in this?" she motioned to her dress."