Chapter 12

You know who always dies? The best friend

You know who always dies? The best friend. Not that I'm implying anything. ;) I'm just sayin'. :D

Dedicated to @AH_Agustus for all of her lovely inline comments on the last chapter. :D

Ami pouted in her bed, not sure how to summon a servant, and not willing to walk all the way to her door and try hollering for one. This is stupid.

The sun was a bit above the horizon, casting an orange hue across the sleepy land and telling her that she had slept till morning.

Is anyone going to check up on me? Where's the Queen? Where are the servants? she was so desperate to eat something and get out of her room, that she would've even been glad to see Jack's ugly old face. Only it wasn't ugly and it wasn't old.

A quiet knock sounded on the door.

"Come in!" Ami sat up in a blink.

Portia came in holding a tray with some watery looking broth. Ami frowned. "Good morning, Ami. I was going to see how you were fairing and decided to bring some food while I was at it."

"How considerate of you to remember me." Ami smiled. Never mind that you are my lady-in-waiting.

"I hear that you're going to be fitted today." Portia set the tray down on Ami's lap and sat back in a chair near her bed. "I'm sure it will be quite fun."

"Quite fun." Ami repeated, spooning some soup into her mouth. It would be fun if I were not being fitted for my death gown. Well, not death, but something nearly as horrid.

"Why am I having soup? I'm perfectly well and it is decidedly too hot to be eating it, not to mention it is morning. Normal people do not have soup in the morning." Ami set the pewter spoon down.

Portia shrugged. "I thought if you were going to be fitted that you might want to not be eating excessively fattening foods. You want to look your best for Jack I'm sure."

Ami resisted the urge to roll her eyes, saying nothing as she knew saying anything to Portia wouldn't do any good to either of them. "Can you go fetch some servants please?"

"Yes, Your Highness." Portia didn't try to conceal her disrespectful tone as she stood up.

Long after Portia had left(Ami was sure she had deliberately tried to take as long as possible), a servant knocked on the door.

"Enter, please!" Ami smiled at the door. Relieved for some company and possible help.

A servant, one that Ami remembered as Heather, came in and curtsied. "Your Highness."

"Do you know if my crutch is done?" Ami asked hopefully.

"Um, I don't think it is. Not yet anyway." Heather glanced at the door as if it were a way to escape if Ami were to bite. "I'm sure that you could be carried around if you wish."