Chapter 29

Get ready to say goodbye to your favorite characters. ;) (Don't forget the tissue box.)

Jack peered out the door at Ami.

She looked more surprised than he felt.

"Hello, wife," he mustered the courage to sit up. "I think we need to talk."

"What was he talking about?" she nodded in the direction Madison fled. "What have you been thinking over?"

Jack sighed, grabbed Ami by the arm walked her out to the castle gardens. Ami stayed silent. Jack did the same, though he looked ten times more uncomfortable. "I was thinking things over..." he started.

"So I heard." Ami bit back a smirk.

"And when I was thinking, I thought about how amazing it was that we didn't die, how you just so happened to know how to swim, and how the wood splinters missed all of my vital organs. Then it occurred to me, that it wasn't luck, it wasn't happenstance - there is a God above who know our every need, who is real and who does cares about us." He folded his hands and rested his chin on them.

Ami stared at Jack. Is he serious? She felt her heartbeat accelerate.

"I realize that I was wrong. I've been so blind, and I'm sorry for that. I shouldn't have dragged you off during our wedding. I should have treated you better. There are lots of things I should have done, but I didn't and I regret it."

Is someone giving him money to say this? she studied his face. He looked as sincere as he could be. Maybe a ray of sunshine was making its way into Ami's life. After months of misery (at times, self-induced) maybe things were turning around.

"Your Highnesses!" a page scanned the gardens until he saw the royals. "You are to meet with the King and Queen in the Council Room at once. There is a surprise for Princess Amélia."

Ami furrowed her eyebrows. "For me?"

"Thank you, page. You may go." Jack stood up and offered his hand to Ami. She smiled and took his hand.

They eagerly made their way to the Council Room to discover what surprise the King and Queen were talking about.

Jack opened the door and they entered, hand in hand.

"Ami! My darling!" A figure that Ami hadn't expected to see in a very long time, hurried to Ami and embraced her, bumping her hand away from Jack's. "I was so afraid when I got the letter! I thought for sure that I'd never see you again."

"Mother?" Ami couldn't do anything but stand in disbelief. "How..."

The King and Queen of Carenthia smiled and stood behind Ami's parents. Jack bit his lip and looked at the ground. "Ami."

Her father wrapped both mother and daughter up in a hug. "We have some very good news for you. I think it's better that the King informs you."

"Good news?" Ami looked at Jack to see if he knew any more than she did. He shrugged at her.

They all took seats at the table (though Ami was stilled dazed) and the King folded his hands together. "This last month or two has seemed slightly hectic and bizarre to all of us, I'm sure."

Both Jack and Ami nodded. "But something good has come from your kidnapping - though I would never want it to happen again."

Jack raised an eyebrow.

"The Svenlandian government heard of your kidnapping, and they heard that it was one of their own citizens that committed that heinous crime. Svenland has known for awhile that they're in hot water, and it's only getting hotter."