Chapter Four

Carter and I have been arguing for hours about what we are going to do about me being a witch. I really don't see the harm in telling the pack that I am a witch, which is how I know Carter is hiding something from me. "Carter, stop lying to me, and tell me the truth!"

His mouth is in a tight line, which isn't really much of a surprise. Carter is always so serious, but I guess that is a consequence of being an Alpha. "I need you to pay close attention, and don't make a peep, understood?"

I sit up straighter in my seat, and nod my head agreeing to the conditions, but it might be hard for me to keep my big mouth shut. He keeps his gaze on me, and he is trying very hard to not show emotions as he talks to me, "Well the problem is Cosette: you are in danger. So lets keep it simple hmmm? You being my mate alone puts you in danger. I run the most powerful pack in the nation, naturally giving us a lot of enemies, who want revenge. The best way to get that desired revenge is stealing you. Not only that, but you are betrothed. So now, you are the number one target of Alpha Greg's Pack, Howl, putting you in more danger. Finally, we find out you are a witch! From what Georgia tells me, you are a werewolf/witch. Do you know what that means? You are a new breed. Cosette, there has never been someone like you. Werewolf and witch genes are not supposed to morph like that. You either have a werewolf child, or a witch child. But now that it has happened, people are going to want you. Not only for experimental reasons, but for," he pauses his eyes getting an even darker shade of black, "breeding reasons."

My eyes widen, and I start feeling very nervous, and he finishes, "So that is why, we are going to keep this a secret, and I honestly don't care what you think about this."

I glare at him, how could he not care what I think? He is so dang bossy! "Now this part is your choice, you can choose to learn magic, or to not."

I sit back in my seat, pondering everything. Is magic really something I should be focusing on learning right now? Obviously people are out to get me, which will result in wars. I could use magic in battles, if Carter would let me. I snort at this, I doubt I would even be able to leave my room if there was a war going on. There would be no way in hell Carter would let me fight. I sigh, and conjure up a sentence to try to sum up my feelings without offending Carter, "I just want..." I pause before finishing, "to do what is right for the pack."

Carter nods his head, "Then you can come to the meeting tomorrow if you please."

"Okay." I whisper.

Carter exits quickly and I just feel like bursting into tears. Why did he act so distant? Did I do something wrong?

Carter's POV

As I walk away from my mate, I feel my wolf howling in pain. I sneer at him to shut up. God damnit, things never work out do they? Now I have to keep an extra close eye on her, and I know she won't be happy with that, I mean who would? But I don't care if it makes her unhappy. I will not lose her. She is mine.

But this witch thing, that's what I don't know what to do about. Obviously we have to hide it, but do I tell certain people? Would help them protect her to their upmost capability?

I pace my office, my mind reeling through so many different scenarios and outcomes. Possibly telling my parents is a good first step. But how will Cosette react when she meets my father for the first time?

My office door slams open and Georgia is standing there looking furious. I let out a loud growl, "What Georgia? I don't have time for games today."

She crosses her arms, "Cosette is down there crying, thinking she did something wrong!"

I sigh, and slam my palm on the wooden desk, "I don't have time for this! I need to come up with a plan!"

She shakes her head, "You need to be spending time with your mate!"

"There are rogues pressing the territory lines. Cosette is in danger and I will put all of my focus on that. Isn't that what a good mate should do? Protect their mate?"

Georgia walks out, but of course she has to have the last word, "I suppose, but don't you think a good mate should also love their mate? Care for them? Talk to them? Spend time with her Carter. As much as you can."