Chapter Twenty Nine

Twenty minutes until I get married to the last person I even want to look at. The disgusting dress is hanging on the closet door and the hair and makeup ladies have been long gone for quite sometime. I fiddle with the ends of my curled hair and start thinking about how I should feel like a princess. I look perfect, my dress is (other people’s idea of) perfect, the decorations are perfect, but the person I am marrying isn’t person. I will never forget Carter, his beautiful face will haunt me until the day I day, probably even after that.

I shove my hands deep into the pockets of my sweatpants and I gaze out the window. Looking below, I can see tons of people making their way inside the church. A long sigh slips out of my lips as I watch mates holding each other and looking lovingly into each other’s eyes. I remember when Carter would hold me like that, which wasn’t too often, but those were the best times of all. Now that I look back on it I would secretly look forward to going to bed because that was my alone time with Carter. We didn’t argue, well we didn’t speak at all, but I guess we didn’t have to talk.

A knock on the door pulls me out of my memories, and my mother’s voice says, “Come on Cosette, put the dress on and let’s go.”

I mutter a quiet okay, and walk slowly over to the dress. My fingers graze over the white material and I sigh defeatedly that this is not a terrible nightmare; this is reality.

A hand covers my mouth and judging by the electrical feeling coursing through my veins it has to be Carter it just has to be. My breathing immediately skyrockets and I pull at his hand, trying to make him let me go, I have so many choice words I need to tell him right now. He whispers quietly in my ear, and his hot breath causes me to shiver, “I am going to get you out of here, so we can’t talk right now. But there is one thing I have to tell you, I did not reject you.”

An unattractive snort is his response to that. So if he didn’t reject me then who did? The gingerbread man? God how dumb does he actually think I am? He tightly holds my waist with one arm, while he tucks my curled hair into my jacket, and pulls my hood over my head, creating a shadow over my face. His green eyes search mine, and I don’t what he is trying to find but I can see desperation clear in his scrutinizing gaze. He sighs gently, and we are suddenly out the window and we land with a slight thud on the ground.

Everyone is already in the church, except for one person, someone whom I don’t know, but Carter seems to. He pushes me behind him and just in time too because I hear the man say, “Carter? Wow, I didn’t expect you to come.”

He chuckles without emotion and says, “I just came to show no disrespect but I have no intention of staying for the ceremony.”

The man whispers quietly, “Listen, I know this is hard but you are doing the right thing for your pack. Causing a disturbance here would cause big trouble for your pack. I’m proud of you.”

I want to jump out from behind Carter and bash his arrogant brains in. Not everything can be about the pack. I don’t care what I have said and stood for in the past. I can now see Carter’s side of things. Mates are more important than the pack, period. Before Carter can respond the man is called inside the church by his wife and then Carter and I are left in silence. Without saying a word Carter shifts into his wolf, and makes a movement with his head, signaling for me to get on his back.

As I get on his back I honestly don’t know what to think. Of course my emotional side is screaming with joy and love, but my rational side is going crazy with worry. Where the hell are we going to go? Obviously we can’t go back to the pack, unless Carter is looking to get everyone murdered. My mind is still reeling about the fact that Carter didn’t reject me, which gives me a sick feeling in my stomach as I realize Jake most definitely had something to do with it. Why would he want to split Carter and I up? He couldn’t possibly be jealous, could he? The last time I checked him and Georgia seemed to be on very good terms and making even more progress.

Carter’s black wolf is charging through the forest, jumping over fallen branches and dodging trees in his path. My fingers are gripping tightly to his dark fur and I feel oddly at peace. Even with war right around the corner, I am still feeling complete and utter happiness and peace.

Authors note: heyyyy guuiiisss hope u liked this!!! Love y’all