Chapter 35

Carter’s POV

The only thing that has been on my mind since I have left is Cosette, and it is absolutely killing me. Part of me is screaming at me to check in on her, but that completely goes against the other part of me that is demanding I focus on the war that is quickly approaching.

The pack house is eerily silent causing my wolf to feel uncomfortable but I know that the only people in here would probably be my mother and Georgia. Georgia of course is undoubtedly pissed at me for putting Jake in prison. It was the only thing that could be done for now though. I don’t actually intend on even holding a trial for him. I want him out of the pack for good. He obviously cannot do what is right for his Luna therefore he cannot do what is right for the pack. He only cares about his own selfish needs. 

When I set my duffle bag on the kitchen floor, my mom is in front of me in a flash, holding me tightly. As I hug her back, I realize that I have never actually stopped to think about how she is holding up. After all her mate is dead, and she seems to have been holding up just fine. However now is not the time to open that can of worms.

She looks up at me, and squeezes my hands, “Carter I think you should go see Georgia.”

I pull my hands out of her grasp, and pinch the bridge of my nose, “Mother I honestly don’t want to deal with that right now. I can’t deal with that right now until after the war.”

She gasps, “Carter that can be months from now! It cannot wait that long!”

I roll my eyes, “What could possibly be so urgent that it couldn’t wait a few months?”

There is a creak on the stairs, and I look up, and a mixture of anger, shock, and maybe a little bit of happiness floods through me. Georgia is staring coldly at me, while her hand is resting protectively over her swollen stomach. My mind immediately starts doing calculations. It’s been two weeks since Cosette was sent away. Georgia must have been pregnant before that. She has to be a month along since a normal werewolf pregnancy takes three months. Is that why Jake betrayed us? Not only was his mate not with him, but his pup was gone too?

I turn away from Georgia, and she follows swiftly after me, “You can’t even muster a congrats? You are a bastard!”

I ignore her disrespecting comments as I continue to walk towards the prison, and Georgia is hot on my heels. As soon as she realizes where we are going she grabs the back of my shirt, and her eyes are watering, “Carter please don’t hurt him.”

I brush her hands off me, anger blinding my vision. I quicken my pace, trying to keep my mind clear and focused. You know what you have do, and you have to do it quickly, without making a scene.

I march quickly past the prison guards, and my feet hit the hard cold stairs. The sound of my footsteps echoes on the stonewalls, and my eyes are still adjusting to the dim lighting.

The prison has never been the nicest place to be, but why would it need to be? The lanterns hanging from the ceiling start swinging, and the flame dims slightly as a result. I walk past multiple cells, most if not all empty, but I don’t have time to hang around and see if we have any other occupants.

When I reach my destination, Jake looks up at me, his lips are dry and chapped, and his face looks slightly sunken in. He hasn’t been here that long so it must be from the lack of contact with Georgia. By the way his eyes light up I can tell Georgia has followed me here.

I press my finger on the finger pad, and the lock clicks open. That’s just about the only high tech thing down here. During the last war the keys were stolen from one of the guards and all of the prisoners escaped, so we installed this baby so now only the Alpha’s fingerprint can open the cells, and the finger has to have a pulse.

Georgia squeals in excitement, and hugs me quickly before going to Jake’s side. She helps him up, and Jake says, “I understand that you probably don’t want me to fight so where-“

I hold my hand up to stop him from saying anything else, “I am sorry but due to the circumstances that we are under I am going to have to ask you to leave the pack.”

“Carter, you can’t banish your sister!” Georgia replies shakily.

“I was going to wait until after the war was over, but under the circumstances I thought it was only fair to let the two of you go now.”

Georgia sniffs, “But where will we go?”

“Luke agreed to take you in.” I answer her, trying to stay strong.

She starts crying into Jake’s shoulder, and he guides her out of the cold prison, not even giving me a glance. Anger boils inside of me from his disrespect, they should both be happy actually. I should have just killed him while I had the chance.

Almost immediately after my mothers voice is screaming in my head, “CARTER-“

But I just block her out. I know I made the right choice. They couldn’t just stay here, and I couldn’t just kill him. Plus my mother was right, I couldn’t keep Jake in prison until after the war, Georgia needs him. I may have a lot of bad deeds hanging on my conscience, but I don’t want breaking up my sister’s family to be one of them.

Authors note: So here’s a little drama to really start gearing towards the end of the story and get ready for the sequel (:

If you comment and vote and stuff I will follow you  (:

-Emmie-