Chapter 3

He drives me to my house after about five minutes of fighting about it. Once we get there I jump out of the car and run inside.

"Echo Cassidy!" my mother yells. "Where the hell have you been?!"

"It's a really long story, where's dad?"

"At the police station. I wanna hear this long story."

I sigh in relief. "Thank god, you're both alive."

"Why wouldn't we be? We thought you were the dead one."

I shake my head. Maybe telling them I was dead isn't a good idea. "They put a second heart inside of me and i was told it's usually from a relative."

"Wait... they took someone's heart? And put it into you?"

I nod.

"Get in the car, I'm taking you to see something."

"You can't tell me?"

She shakes her head. "You won't believe me unless you see it."

I sigh but nod. "Just let me tell Theo."

"Theo's here?"

"He's waiting for me outside."

"Tell him to come back later. I've gotta show you something important."

I nod again and run outside to Theo's car and knock on his window.

He rolls down the window. "Yeah?"

"My mom needs to show me something, come back later."

He sighs but nods. "All right..."

"Thanks." I smile and turn to walk away.

"Wait."

"What?"

He gets out of the car and kisses me quickly. "I-I love you."

I stand there, blankly staring at him. Did he really just say that?

He stares at me for a second silently, then gets into his car, rolls the window up, and drives away.

My mom walks out of the house and gets into her car, and I follow. She drives down to the edge of a forest, the same one I was revived in, and gets out of the car. "In here," she tells me while leading me into the trees.

I take a few steps and suddenly, I see the sun hitting a piece of yellow police tape. "That it?"

She nods. "Go take a look."

I slowly walk over to the edge of the police tape, looking down at my feet. I'm not sure if I want to see what's in front of me. 

After a moment of hesitation I look up slightly, and I see a dead body laying on the ground. A very familiar body. Familiar face, familiar orange hair. To my horror, my best friend is laying on the ground, in the center of the police-tape box.

And her insides have been clawed out, from stomach to heart.