Chapter 11

"What're we doing down here?" I ask Liam, who brought me down to a tunnel. It feels a little familiar, but I don't know where from.

"We're looking for the place where... never mind, you weren't there. Just follow me."

I sigh but walk behind him. "Why do I need to come?"

"In case there's something down here."

"The Beast?"

He sighs but nods.

"This isn't exactly a fun second date idea, but let's do it."

He chuckles and grabs my hand as he leads me down a couple hallways. I swear to god, we pass one corner like five times.

"What're you doing down here?" Scott's voice echos through the tunnels.

Liam sighs. "I dragged her down here. Malia said you were right, you were right about the tunnels. They're stationed down here. I just wanted to take a look around."

I can sense the awkwardness between them. "What happened with you two?"

"Long story," Scott says.

"I got time."

"Theo made me try to kill Scott," Liam says while looking down at the ground. "Took advantage of my anger issues and the Super Moon. I almost did it, too."

"But you didn't."

"You don't know how close it was."

"He's still alive. That's what matters."

He shakes his head. "I almost killed him. I'm a monster."

Scott levels with him. "No, you're a werewolf. Like me. Yes, a werewolf is considered by some to be a monster. But not all monsters do monstrous things."

"I feel like saying sorry won't be enough to fix it..."

"Actually, you haven't even done that yet."

He sighs. "Back when I went to Devenford Prep, one time I knocked this guy's teeth out. They made me write him a letter of apology, but we both knew it meant nothing. I feel like I have to do something, something to prove it. Like, saving your life or something."

"Well trust me, there'll probably be plenty of chances for that."

"Do you guys feel that vibration?" I ask.

They both look up at me and nod in unison.

"I'm gonna take a look around."

"I'm going with you," Liam says.

I sigh. "You coming, Scott?"

He nods, and the three of us begin walking around again.

"Well," I say after a couple minutes. "We've been walking around for so long and all I've seen is a snake statue."

Scott looks at me. "Where?"

I point to a circle on the wall that sticks out.

He walks over to it, and Liam grabs my hand.

My phone buzzes, and I take it out.

Text from: Theo

Hey, I'm really sorry about last night. Can we talk?

I sigh and put my phone back in my pocket.

"Theo?" Liam asks.

I sigh but nod. "Yeah."

"What exactly are you and him?"

I sigh again. "I don't know. I mean, I'm gonna give you a shot but..."