Chapter 13

The following day, when I arrive at school, Theo's waiting by the door to greet me.

"Hey," he says with a smile.

"Hey," I sigh while walking past him, into the building.

"You okay?" he asks, following behind me.

"Leave me alone," I say quietly.

"Echo-"

"Just leave me alone. You've already got me in your pack, what else do you want from me?"

"What's wrong?"

"Just leave me alone," you sigh while walking over to your locker.

Scott's waiting by your locker. "Hey," he says.

"Hey," I sigh.

"You okay?"

"Don't wanna talk about it. Do you need something?"

"We're rescuing the last of the pack from Eichen House. Tonight. We need your help."

"Not like I can do anything for you."

"But you can. You can pass the mountain ash, you can help Lydia. Please."

I sigh. "Fine, I'll help you. Now, can I get to my locker?"

"After you tell me why you're upset."

"I'm not upset."

"I can smell it on you."

I sigh again. "I don't wanna talk about it."

"You know we won't judge you, right?"

I shrug. "I guess."

"Is it about Liam?"

"No, it's not about him."

"Is it about Theo?"

I sigh yet again. "Please just let me get to my locker."

He steps to the side, and I open my locker. "What'd Theo say to you?"

"Don't worry about it."

"If he said something about the Beast-"

"The Beast! Oh the big, ferocious Beast that almost killed me a few days ago! The only thing that anyone cares about anymore!"

"Echo. You know that isn't true."

"That's all you care about, all Theo cares about, all the Doctors care about, hell all my parents care about! They only care about the giant animal terrorizing all of Beacon Hills! That's all anyone cares about!"

"That's not true."

"Oh, really? Theo wants me in his pack. Because he wants my help catching the Beast. You want me in your pack for the information from Theo about the Beast. I walked across town to get to school today because my mom was too busy watching the news and learning about that god damn Beast!"

"Echo, people are afraid."

"Yeah, you're afraid that the Beast is gonna kill you. That it'll kill your family, your pack, other friends. It already did take one of my best friends, in a way. It's a product of those god damn Dread Doctors, and they killed my best fucking friend! I have no one left! She was all. I. Fucking. HAD!" Claws shoot out of my hand as I slash against my locker.

"Echo! Calm down!"

"Why the fuck should I?"

"You're upset that you lost your best friend. I lost my girlfriend once. Well, ex-girlfriend."