Chapter 1

You'll need to be on your best behaviour" My Father warns as he walks over to his office table; dark rings hang under his eyes and his usual combed hair was messy, revealing another sleepless night.

I inwardly sigh, as I walk towards the office table, I knew this sleepless night stemmed from the recent death of our pack member, and it didn't help that the anniversary of Mum's death was creeping around the corner. 

"Who's coming Alpha" Andrew asks respectfully, he was always so formal even if the alpha was our Dad. He was next in line and I was looking forward to watching him rule.

"But he won't be better than Dad". Emma my wolf comments
"No he won't, no one can be better than Dad"
He took his time in answering,  his fingers massaging his forehead, pain tugged at my heart I hated seeing him so tired and deflated.

"The two Alpha's from the Bloodmoon pack" He states calmly but the shiver that runs down his spine betrays his fear.
For a moment, the whole room falls into silence, before an argument quickly arises as my three brothers begin shouting at my Father and each other.

"What the hell" Daniel says indignantly, his fists are clenched, as he tries to reign in his anger. While Harry, the youngest brother takes a completely opposite approach to the news.
"They can't come here. They..they will slaughter us all" He takes a deep breath, trying to mask the panic evident on his face.

I wait for Andrew's input, he's sitting in one of the chairs around the desk. His eyes are unfocussed, as he begins creating a plan in his head. Slowly rising, he quickly shakes his head to regain focus.
"No they won't slaughter us" His voice radiates power and authority. "If the two Alphas' want a war, then war is what we'll give them"
Daniel and Mike, take a moment to process what he says, before an argument breaks out again and their voices rise to a clamour. 

I couldn't be bothered listening to their argument, so I shift my attention to my Dad. He was leaning against his chair, his arms folded neatly against his chest as he waited for his sons to quit arguing, but his patience was slowly waning.
Like Andrew, my Dad rises from his chair and I look away, knowing what's going to happen next.

"Quiet" he roars, instantly grabbing their attention. "They're not coming here to start a war. They are coming here to find their mate"

"What" I shout at my Dad. "They can't, no, no, they can't".
My mind goes into overdrive as I try to process his words. I didn't want a mate. What if they come here and I'm their mate. No, that won't happen, I won't let it. Emma interrupts my train of thought,
"I hope they're our mate" she says happily. "I really want our mate"
'I don't..."
She cuts off the connection, ignoring me, before I can finish the sentence. The past year she had been ranting about how excited she was to find her mate, I didn't share her enthusiasm. Deep down, I did want a mate; I relished the idea of someone caring for me, protecting me.
However I worried, what if he was controlling and aggressive, what if he only wanted me to keep his wolf calm, most importantly, what if he rejected me.
When my Mum was alive, she always reassured me that my mate would love me no matter what; but she wasn't here anymore to comfort me.

So lost in thought, I didn't even notice my brothers standing protectively around me.
"We won't let them touch you" Daniel assures me
"Agreed" my other two brothers say in unison
My lips curve into a small smile, I was touched, but I wouldn't let them get hurt, if unfortunately they did end up being my mate.

"Maybe we can hide her" Andrew suggests, "Stay in the city for awhile". His eyes are unfocussed again, as he devises a plan in his head.
My smile widens with the idea, maybe I could avoid them altogether.
"Flick, we'll hide you in the human town" Daniel adds
"I'll start packing your clothes, we can leave tonight" Harry agrees as he walks towards the door with me and my brothers behind him.

"Stop" Dad growls, using his alpha command, with our heads bowed, we all return to the centre of the room.
'No one is going anywhere". He pauses for a moment, sighing. "I'm sorry Flicker"
Anger begins to rise inside me, how could my Father keep me captive here, didn't he want me to be happy. I raise my head and my eyes meet his in a defiant stare; but my anger immediately dissipates when I see the tears at the brink of his eyes. Taking a deep breath, I remind myself that my Father loves me.

"The two Alpha's know that I have a daughter, escaping or hiding, will only make them more aggressive. Which may result in them retaliating and destroying the pack."

My stomach sinks with dread, he was right; I could already imagine our entire pack lying in bloody ribbons as a consequence from my actions. I shudder in horror; I couldn't allow that to happen.

"Don't worry, I'll protect you" Andrew softly murmurs, taking the shudder as a sign of feeling scared rather than feeling immense horror.
"They're not going to be my mates, there are thousands of unmated females in the world. The moon goddess wouldn't be that cruel to pair me with them" I say to reassure my brothers and most importantly myself.
They nod their heads in agreement, but their faces still remain etched with worry.

Our Father dismisses us from the room and my brothers immediately start up a conversation on battle strategy; but as I leave, I can't ignore the unwanted thought lurking at the edge of my mind, what if the moon goddess did pair me with the two Alpha's?