Four

Kate

Six months later

"Okay are you ready?" I asked Alessio and turned around to face him as he straightened his tie. "Alessio?"

"Hm."

"I said are you ready?"

"Yeah, yeah." He muttered and took the seat next to me.

"This is important to me Alessio."

"I know, I know."

I gave him an exasperated look and then turned back to the screen. It was Sunday. I had a skype date with Uncle Sammy and none had been more important than this particular one. You see, no one exactly knew we were engaged. It's not as though it had been exactly a secret but we just knew the wedding wouldn't be something that happened anytime soon.

We had the big move on our hands, and Alessio's recovery. When Alessio was finally getting more mobility back in his arm and strength we'd made an agreement. Well, I had sort of made an agreement. When I thought Alessio was dying I had sprouted off so many random places that we still had to go to, told him I would leave everything behind and we could go to Paris, and Denmark and Ireland and this big long list. As it turned out Alessio had made a mental note that included each and every one of them.

We'd done some traveling. And by some, I meant a lot, and by a lot I mean, well, probably too much. We had only just settled back into Italy last week where we would be staying with his parents for a bit of time.

"Go ahead." He motioned towards the computer. I took a deep breath. I counted to five in my head, bringing up the courage to take the plunge and Alessio took it for me.

He hit the call button before I got a chance to. I shot him a dirty look and gave him a gentle shove. "I was going to do it."

"Uh huh." He teased and turned his attention towards the screen.

A few seconds later Uncle Sam popped up on the screen with a huge smile. "Katie-pie! And, oh, Alessio. Nice to see you too." His smile fell.

Alessio gave a half salute.

"Hi Sammy." I forced a nervous smile.

"How's my favorite girl? And her boyfriend or whatever too."

Alessio chuckled. Whether or not he was willing to admit it, Sammy didn't hate Alessio quite as much anymore. We'd made progress. He was a little sore about him taking me across the globe but also had a great deal of respect that he had given up the Mafia Legacy he had been building most of his life.

"We are very good."

"To what do I owe the honor?" Sammy motioned towards Alessio and I glanced to him nervously.

"We were wondering..." I said and put my hand on Alessio's chest. "Uh, well..."

"We'd be honored if you would come to visit us. I would of course make the flying arrangements and the house has more than enough room for everyone." Alessio said easily.

"Well shit, why didn't you say so? Of course I want to come up and see my Katie-pie!"

"Great. We were thinking you could come down in a few weeks and stay for, oh, I don't know...a month...month and a half maybe..."