Forty Nine

Kate

             "We're not fine."

"Maybe we're not good but we're fine at least, I'm not angry." I whispered across the table to Alessio.

"I didn't ask how you were."

I shushed him and looked down the table to Charlie. She was oblivious to our continuing tension and disagreement. She was watching in stark fascination as the twins swapped things on their plates, despite having the same meals.

"Don't shush me."

"Don't argue with me in front of our daughter."

"I'm not arguing I am merely having a conversation with you Katherine."

"An angry conversation with an angry tone-"

"Yes, I'm angry but I don't have an angry tone."

"And you're scowling. Stop scowling at me. At least pretend it wasn't my skull you were envisioning when crack eggs."

"Oh it wasn't yours I was envisioning."

I frowned and rather than answer took a sip from my wine glass. "We'll talk about it later." I whispered behind my glass. I set it down and forced a great big smile.

"I've given you my answer, what else is there to talk about?"

"So girls." I said loudly, ignoring him. "I'm sorry, you were running so quickly, I didn't catch who was who."

Aria raised a brow at me as if to say just watch. "Didn't our new mommy tell you?" One said, I glanced from her to the other, their curls didn't look any different to me, I didn't see what Aria meant when she said one had tighter curls.

"You can't tell us apart?" The other turned to Aria with big wide eyes. "Mommy, don't you love us?"

Aria sighed.

"They call her Mommy only when they want to torture her." Sergio muttered to me and again I picked up my wine glass to hide my smirk behind it. Kids.

"If you loved us, you'd know, you know, don't you Mommy."

"Oh but of course." Aria said and picked up her glass as well. It looked like she needed it.

"What else is there to talk about?" Alessio asked again and I didn't glance his way.

"I just wanted to hear it from you." I said as pleasantly as possible to the girls.

"Addy." One said and in unison the other said "Emma." They were perfectly in sync. This must mean that was their true identity...or, erm, had they played this game before. I glanced from one to the other trying to tell if they were lying.

"And in twenty minutes you'll be...?"

They sent each other a mischevious look and repeated their, possibly correct, names.

Alessio, in a foul mood spoke up. "I'll have their finger prints run later, why you haven't already thought of it-"

"Because we are a normal happy family who doesn't finger print people in their sleep." Sergio replied, his look of amusement wasn't lost on me. "So brother, how is that cousin of ours? I thought surely he would be here."