Forty Two

Aria

"Are you sure you're okay?" Sergio asked as we were parked outside the Moretti Estate. He seemed to turn something over several times in his mind before finding the courage to say it. "Aria let's just go. Get a jet for Kate and after we take her home we can go anywhere, you and I. Leave this behind."

"No." I said staring at the house. "It's not that simple. I can't leave my brother Sergio."

"After everything he's done?"

I sighed and turned to face him with a smile. "After everything he's done. You're right, I am his anchor, and you know he is right too. He and I, we are tied to each other, we are the same."

"You're not." He insisted again. I brought my hand to his cheek and he put his on top of mine. "You're more than this Ari, let him, and all of this go. I did."

"I know. And you are a better man for it." I leaned forward and gave him a quick peck. "I will call you. I'll be okay. I promise."

"I threw my phone out of a moving car." He said flatly.

"So you will get a new one and call me." He didn't look convinced but I had to go anyway.

"I'm coming back." He informed me frankly. "Dante welcomes me here, I have to check on Kate, she should be out for the night with that narcotic cocktail she's taken but I need to check on her, gather her things, then I will be back for you."

"Get a phone. Call me. Come back in the morning and I'll have her flight arranged. Nine maybe?" I said and got out of the truck. I came back into the house. Dante and another Mafioso were standing, hunched over the table and a map, actively talking strategy. War strategy. Both guns rested on the table.

Dante glanced up to me and then back down. "You're dripping on the floor." He said casually and turned his attention back to the map.

"So I am." I agreed and joined them at the table. "What is this?"

"We're planning Ari, don't worry about it."

"Okay." I put my head on his shoulder and he stopped his pointing and moving pieces to look at me. "I need a jet arranged."

"For?"

"Taking the innocent girl you drowned back to her home in New York."

"Innocent is very subjective here. How innocent could she be if with Alessio? Is she returning in a casket?"

"Very much alive."

"Huh. So the ole rip actually pulled that one off..."

"Will you arrange it or not?"

"Go on." He waved the Mafioso off. "Richardo will take care of it right away."

"Thank you." I watched Richardo leave and then sat on the edge of the tale and toyed with one of the pieces on the map. "I've done a lot of thinking Dante. You're right you know. About everything."

He stepped away from me and the table and crossed his arms over his chest. "Sergio talk some sense into you did he? I knew he was good for us."

I shrugged. "Dante you know despite everything you have done, what you have started here today, I love you. So very much, you are my brother. And I know why you killed grandfather, and why you think you have to do this, to start this war. I understand brother. Grandfather was so cruel to you." I shook my head. "I don't blame you, for being the person you are, I blame him, him and even myself."