Twenty Nine

Alessio

It was late when I pulled up in front of the house. I balled my hand into a tight fist and then flexed it a few times before opening the car door. I stopped when I noted the house.

It was quiet.

There was no hustle and bustle. No one was coming and leaving, which was unusual to say the least. The house was dark.

I narrowed my eyes and took my gun out clicking the safety off on instinct and making sure to keep it hidden by my coat in case someone was watching through the security camera. The house was never dark, not in my entire life could I remember one instance when the house was in complete darkness.

Too many people, guards, family, workers, there was always someone in the house. Typically two were posted outside the doors, cars should be coming and going as always. Something was very wrong.

I checked the surrounding area, quickly glancing over the windows, none were broken, no locks tampered with. Either an ambush or someone from the inside had handled this. Despite this being something I was once more than used to, I couldn't help but feel more apprehensive than usual. I hadn't been a part of an attack for some time, hadn't had life or death hanging over my head to force my hand to do what it needed to do. If it cramped up now, if I had a tremor, well there would be no flexing it out and trying again next time.

I couldn't dwell on this now, couldn't think this through or call for back up. For all I knew my back up was already dead. Was Katherine still in the house? Had she left to do something for the wedding? When was the last time she had texted me? Could the person responsible for the bomb be responsible for this?

Padre had cameras at every angle throughout the house and even the parking lot, there were no blind spots. The bomb was very intentionally planted by someone very close in the family. Meaning whoever was responsible for that had ample opportunity for whatever this was.

I opened the door to the house, my right hand holding the gun and twitching with anticipation. The lights clicked on and I pulled the trigger just before hearing a chorus of "Surprise!"

Surprise indeed.

Katherine was tapping her foot off the ground, she wouldn't stop tapping her foot off the shiny white tiled floor of the hospital in an alarmingly quick and furious pace.

"I wasn't aware." I said simply.

"Obviously."

"It wasn't like I shot him in the head, I had hardly a nanosecond to readjust the directory and I did. It's not like it was a kill shot or anything."

"That's hardly the point Alessio!" She gasped and rose to her feet.

"Here we go." I muttered under my breath.

"You shot Simone!"

"He'll be fine, I readjusted!"

"Why did you even have a gun! I hate those things! We agreed you would tell me before you went to do business and that it would only be bomb related business. You shouldn't even be armed right now."