Twenty Seven

Alessio

"Well that had to of hurt."

We looked behind us to Sergio who was leaned against the doorway from the bathroom and into Ari's room.

"If I'm not mistaken, she didn't really remember you in the brightest of images, did she?" He cracked a smile, the simple action split his lip and is a dot of blood reflected the light, when no one said anything he putting braced himself with a hand on each side of the door frame and hopped forward a step.

"Damn it Ari." I groaned and followed after her. "You don't get to just walk away like that." Just as I came into the hallway a door just a few rooms down slammed.

Once upon a time on the occasion of a sleep over or should Padre ever feel our home wasn't safe on a particular night the room she just stormed into would be the guest room Sergio and I would room in. I followed her into the room and slammed it behind me just as she had.

She whirled around to face me the moment I entered and instantly our screaming match resumed. "Coniglio!"

(coward)

"Enough Ari." I warned.

"Family is everything you say, nothing matters more you say." She mocked.

"He's not family! He abandoned the family. The family that fed him, that housed him, that offered him riches the typical person couldn't even dream of!"

"The family that beat him? That gave him no free will to his life? That forced him to do things no kid should have to face?"

"Oh give me a break, I went through the same things Sergio did and I didn't boohoo and run away from home." I scoffed.

She shook her head so vigorously the bun holding her hair up lost a few strands. "That's bullshit and you know it. It didn't matter that he was two years younger than you, he always had to keep up."

"Padre was trying to make sure he made it through this business with his life. To make him tough, to be prepared. He did the same for me."

"He was just a kid!" She screamed. "You can try to pretend you're so tough and invincible all you want to everyone else in the world but don't forget I was there. Don't look at me and pretend like what you both went through was out of love or with an honorable purpose. You can stand here and tell me that you made it through fine and Sergio is the coward for running but don't forget when you fell on the ground with someone else's blood on your hands in shock and in tears I was there. I was the one who saw you crumbled and helped you clean yourself up. I was there Alessio. And everything you went through at sixteen Sergio did and fourteen, everything you did at fifteen he did at thirteen, everything you did at fourteen he did at twelve. And he didn't have me, he didn't have Pietro, he didn't even have you to help him get through it so don't you dare tell me what you and Sergio went through was the same."

"Jesus Christ." I smacked my hand to my forehead and then threw it in the air. "Why don't you just go screw the guy? Hell, for all I know you could be! You sure didn't have an issue with wiping our bank account dry for him, you sure didn't have an issue with seeing him after you left me. Is that what that was about? Did you leave me for Sergio, because I've got to say you sure seem to go out of your way to take care of him."

"Because he doesn't have any family to do so." She seethed. "The only people in his life who were supposed to love him and take care of him unconditionally turned their backs, someone has to give a shit about him!"