Twentythree

Kate

When I opened my eyes I wasn't sure if I had lost a few seconds, minutes, or for all I'd known I could have been face down on the ground for days.

I rolled onto my side, there was a hand beside it...just a hand. I groaned, flopped to my stomach again and finally with a large force of effort made it onto my back. I blinked rapidly at the sky, my ears were ringing, the sky was hazy, grey clouds and big black ugly smoke swirling around in the air.

Nash was the first face to pop into my life of vision. He looked angry, both of him looked angry actually, just like the dark clouds of smoke behind him. I closed my eyes for only a second but when they opened again I was sitting upright. He had his hands on the side of my head. His lips were moving but I couldn't hear him, not over the ringing. My eyes drifted past him and to the flames dancing directly behind, ah, so that was where the smoke was coming from.

I looked back to Nash again and my brows knit together as I tried to make out his words. When Alessio held my face, he cupped my cheeks, did so gently, or hungrily, it felt good. Nash didn't hold my cheeks, he held my head, forcing it to remain upright and directed to him.

What an asshole.

After several failed moments of trying to talk to me, unheard, lips unread, mind unfocused, he let go of my head, forced his arms under mine and stood up, pulling me upright. Much to my dismay standing up didn't seem to work all that well for me and I found myself leaning far too heavily on Nash.

My steps, if they were steps, came sloppy and unsteady and I managed only a few before he picked me up and carried me. I couldn't really blame myself though when the world around me was blurred. I closed my eyes, when they opened this time the ringing in my ears started to simmer down though not fading away and I began picking up the world around me again. It was murky, like under water and I squinted trying to make sense of the slur of noises and shouts around me. "It's okay." Nash was saying, I'm not sure to himself or me.

Nash carried me back into the house, past an array of men running out side, inside, back and forth pointing and yelling in Italian directed men all over the place.

Nash stepped in front of someone. "Where do I find the doctor?"

"On his way with clean up."

"Daddy?"
Nash looked towards the steps. "Get her upstairs."

"What's going on?" A blonde haired woman holding Ellie's hands on the stairs asked looking around at the mayhem. Ignoring his instruction Ellie pulled away from the blonde and started down the steps.

"I said get her the fὑck upstairs!" Nash yelled and she grabbed Ellie. Nash cursed under his breath and turned away from the two. "Okay." He muttered to himself and looked around. From my perspective the room wasn't moving very quickly, or steadily, in his it was a mad house. "Okay." He repeated again and rather than stay put started up the stairs as well.

Nash brought me up to my bedroom and into the bathroom. He sat me down on the counter right in the middle between the his and her sinks. I wobbled initially and he kept a hand on my shoulder. "It's okay."

I wished he would quit saying that but I didn't reply.

He brought his phone out and made a phone call, followed by cursing, another phone call and more cursing. He finally let go of my shoulder and put the phone down. He put both hands on the counter at my sides. "Do you remember what happened?" He asked me.