Forty Six

Kate

"Turn around."

"What?"

"Turn around!"

"It's not as though I haven't seen you undressed before Katherine, I've every inch of your body memorized. You'll need help tying it anyway."

"I'll ask a nurse. Now you can leave the room all together."

With a sigh he turned around to face the wall while I took my clothes off and put on the hospital gown. "You can tie it."

"Golly gee, can I?" He said turning back around. I stared at him as he walked up to me, it wasn't until he was practically on top of me that I turned around and let him tie the gown, I held my breath as he did so, expecting him to rest his hands on my back, brush against it, blatantly run his hands down me. But he didn't and I let out an exhale. "I'll tell them you've dressed."

He never was one for patience. "I'm sure they'll be back in a few minutes." I said but he already went to fetch a nurse. I lingered beside the bed. Doctors. I couldn't stand doctors.

But they weren't seeing me, we were here for the parasite, I was merely the host. Reluctantly I sat down. Just this once, I had to do this, not for me.

"Are you okay?"

I was working on calming breaths but to Alessio and the nurses they probably sounded more like hyperventilating

"They want to draw blood Katherine."

They always did.

"I would have you sedated but I'm not sure what we have that is safe for, well..."

"It's fine Alessio. I'm fine." I laid back on the bed and gave them one arm, I covered my eyes with the other. They wrapped a band around my arm and I could feel myself getting nauseous already.

Not here for me, not here for me I reminded myself and squeezed my eyes shut tightly. Alessio put a hand on my forearm, even with my arm over my eyes I knew his touch well enough to know it was him and not a male nurse. I gave myself the pep talks, the doctors weren't even looking at me. I was just the carrying case. Still, I jerked when the needle entered, Alessio put his other hand on the back of my head and I turned to look at him, for only a moment before turning to watch the floor instead of the blood drawl.

It seemed to take forever but I got through it. He put his hand to my forehead. "You're sweating."

I was. I'd totally broken out in a cold sweat, I was feeling queasy. "I really haven't eaten today." I admitted, he didn't look terribly surprised.

"Great job Kate!" The nurse praised. I wonder if there were warning about me in my charts. I actually missed Sergio, going to the doctor with him had actually not been so terrible. "The doctor should be right in to see you."

Alessio's hand on my arm twitched. "They have to wait for the results." I defended the nurse once she'd left. "These things aren't instantaneous."

"I'm sure they could be much faster than they'll move though."

"They could be I'm sure, but they aren't. I'm not the only patient you know."

"I could arrange for you to be."

He was watching the doorway the nurse had gone through and I was watching him. When he finally looked back to me he let go of my arm and I folded it over my chest. We fell into silence for only a few very slow moving awkward minutes before he complained.