Twenty Two

Kate

              "Ow, sorry." I apologized for the millionth time as I stepped on my dance partner's foot again.

"Relax. Let him lead you." Mia lecture from the other side of the room as she danced magnificently with another man.

"I'm-" stomp "-trying, sorry. Again."

From her position lounging on an oversized sofa chair Stacey snorted. She had a small bowl of chips balanced on her stomach and while totally capable of dancing, was permitted to escape the torture of classes due to her "condition."

The condition of Pietro sticking his spawn in her of course.

The poor instructor could do nothing but take blow after blow to his foot, he knew the Genovese family and even though the four of us here were harmless he didn't dare risk upsetting us and thereby upsetting the family as a whole. Meaning he didn't dare show frustration at my completely awful and downright dangerous dancing.

"Maybe you need a new partner." Some other guy suggested and I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, because if the instructor himself can't get me halfway decent I'm sure one of his pupils could. I'm fine, I'll get it."

"Always worth a try."

I let go of the instructor and turned around only to realize it wasn't a pupil who had been speaking to me. I opened my mouth but before I could get a word out Ellie had thrown herself into my legs and knocked me over. Nash's amused face turned to concern and he jogged over. "Come on Ellie, Katie's got a wedding in two months she can't afford a broken ankle now."

"Oh my God look how big you've gotten!" I praised Ellie, totally ignoring Nash. "Look at your hair! I can't believe your dad would let you do that!" Innocent little Ellie had a streak of blue in her beautiful golden locks!

"It clips in." Nash assured me and picked Ellie up off of me. He sat her down at his side and then offered me his hand.

I let him pull me up to my feet and threw myself at him. "Holy shit!" I hugged him and then pulled away and punched his arm. "You asshole. I thought you were dead or something!"

"What?"

"You were supposed to be here like two weeks ago! You haven't called me back or texted me and you know when people randomly vanish from my life the past few years that usually means, well you know what it means!" For good measure I punched his arm again. "You scared the shít out of me!"

"Language!" He scolded and held his hands up submissively. "If I tell you we got you an amazing present do you promise not to hit me again?"

"I'm serious Nash. Don't scare me like that."

He slung an arm over my shoulder and turned to face the rest of the group.

Begrudgingly I began introductions. "This is my cousin Tera and my friend Mia, you guys know Stacey. This is Nash and his daughter Ellie."

"Is that the one Alessio is making wear a dress to the ceremony?"

"What?" Nash asked and glanced to me.

I pushed his hand off my shoulder. "Well if you would've called me back earlier I could have asked you how you felt about it but since you didn't we just had to guess on your sizes and stuff. Hope it fits."