Chapter 10

Demi’s POV

Turning off my alarm I got out of an empty bed. Jennel had to leave early for work. I made my way to Josh’s room and slowly opened the door. He looks so peaceful when he sleeps, even with the tear marks down his face. I feel so bad for him; he hardly stops crying without Nicole here. I made my way over to the window and opened the curtains. Then I gently shook him awake.

“Josh, it’s time to get up. You’ve got school today.” I said as his eyes slowly opened.

“I don’t want to go!” He whined.

“I know you don’t, but you haven’t got a choice. I don’t want to go to work, but I’m still going.” I told him. He sighed in response. “What do you want for breakfast?” I asked.

“Pancakes!” he replied excited. I should’ve known really, the small time he’s been living here that’s all he’s wanted to eat.

“Pancakes it is then. Come on, go get washed and dressed in your uniform and I’ll go cook.” He got out of bed and made his way to the bathroom. I left his room and headed for the kitchen. I turned on the radio and sang along to the songs a little, whilst making the batter. Once it was made, I laid the table for the two of us and poured two glasses of orange juice. Josh appeared in the doorway, he was dressed for school. “Good boy, do you want chocolate chips?”

“Yes please.” He replied before taking a seat at the table.

I heated up the oil in the pan and then poured in some of the batter, followed by a small handful of chocolate chips. I flipped the pancake and then served it on to a plate for Josh. He began to eat and I started another. After Josh had ate three he went off to pack his school bag and I washed and dried up.

I walked out into the living room where Josh was watching tv. “I’m going to get washed and dressed, stay here and watch TV and i’ll be down to take you to school soon okay?”

“Okay.” He said simply, his attention not leaving the TV. I walked up the stairs before running into the shower. I washed my hair and body quickly before drying my body and wrapping a towel around my hair.

I walked to my bedroom and closed the door as I started getting dressed. We’re going to be late if I don’t hurry. I pulled on some underwear and rifled through my work clothes until I found a red fitted smart dress. It’s knee length so I don’t need tights. I took my hair out of the towel and blow dried it. I styled it as quickly as I could. I put on the dress, slipped on some back heels and my black blazer jacket.

7.58am. No time for make-up. Looks like it’s the natural look for a while. This isn’t good. I returned downstairs and walked into the kitchen, Josh still watching the television. I wrote a quick note for Jennel.

‘Hope you had a good day at work. Can you pick up Josh for me? I have detentions today. Love you D xxx’

I grabbed my work bag and headed back out towards Josh. “Time to go Josh.” I said and he got up from the sofa and switched off the TV. We walked out the front door and into the car. As I drove we talked a little. “I’ve got to work late today, so Jennel is going to pick you up.” I notice him tense up. “I know how you feel about her Josh, but I promise you she is not going to hurt you. And if she does then you tell me straight away, okay?” he relaxed a little, but I know he still doesn’t like her. And I completely get why.

“Okay. Thank you Demi.” He said shyly. I pulled up outside his school and we both got out the car. “You don’t have to walk me in.” He said.

“I know, I want to. Unless you don’t want me too?”

“No no, it’s fine.”

“Okay, good. If you see George point him out to me.” he nodded and we walked into the gates. I walked him round to his classroom.