Chapter 26

Jennel's POV

"Hello?" I answer as I bring my phone to my ear.

"Jennel...its Nicole." Demi say responds, she sounds like she's crying.

"What's happened?" I ask calmly.

"She...Sh-she-" Demi stutters. Is she missing? Did she hurt herself? Is she in trouble? What?

"Calm down Dems, take a deep breath." I advise her. I hear her shakily breathe in and out a few times before her voice reaches my ear once again.

"Nicole tried to kill herself she's out cold and the ambulance is on the way." She spits out quickly, not pausing for breath. A sob roars down the phone. My mouth drops open slightly, and it take me a minute to register what she's actually said. That explains why Demi is so upset. She's obviously been keeping it in, especially for the emergency call.

"Shit. Okay Demi, you need to stay calm okay. Wait for the ambulance and go with her okay? I'm coming home now."

"Your interviews?" Her monotone voice scares me slightly. I haven't heard her sound like this in years. I almost laugh, but I bite my tongue.

"Fuck them Dem. This is far more important. I love you Dem. See you soon."

"I love you too." I hear her sob as I hang up. Grabbing my bags I practically run out of the toilets. I walk over to the woman sitting behind her neat little desk.

"Excuse me, hi. I need to cancel my interview."

"And why would that be?" her nasal voice making my head hurt.

"Emergency, I have to go."

"I'm going to need a reason." She looks up at me, by now I have tears rolling down my face. What more of a reason do you need. For fuck sake, I should've just walked out.

"Tell them my future daughter tried to kill herself and I've got to go!" I shout. It dawns on me then. Resting my elbows on my torso, I sink my head into my hands. I roughly run my face, I don't even care what my freshly done makeup looks like. I glance back at the woman, her tiny pruned lips are in the shape of an O, she is clearly quiet shocked by my little outburst. To tell you the truth, so am I.

"Jennel, what's wrong?!" her panicked voice rings through my ears, as her arm slides round my shoulders, bringing me into this awkward half hug thing.

"Nicole...s-she's tried to ki-kill herself." I stammer out, letting Sophie hold me. She pulls me away.

"Where do you need to go?"

"H-home"

"Okay. Come on, I'll drive you." She offers with a smile on her face, but seriousness in her eyes.

"No, it's o-okay." I try to speak as fluently as possible. But it's like I'm learning another language. "I can manage, but thank you." I dodge past her and out of the door. I run down the street, bumping and barging through hoards of people until I reach my car. I thumb around on the key, pressing the unlock button. It won't work. I stuff the key into the lock on the door and twist until the car bleeps and the lights flash. Removing the key I pull the door open and jump in. Switching on the ignition, I take a deep breath and pull out into the bust traffic.

About twenty minutes later, I arrive home. Mrs. Rigby, our next door neighbour comes running out upon seeing me. I don't even have a chance to get out of the car. "Jennel?"

"Hi, sorry I can't stop and chat." I apologetically smile. We often have little chats.

"Oh no! I've got Josh, they're at Brighton General."