Chapter 24

Nicole's POV

Demi calls and I answer, I tell her what she want to hear and hang up, dropping my phone back on to the table. Leaving my phone where it is, I leave the room. I head upstairs and go into my room. I pick up my iPod and put it onto the dock and press play. I crank up the volume and let the music take over my body. Moving to the beat, I walk out and into Demi's room. I take her laptop from their bed and return to my own room.

I open the lid and hold down the power button for a few seconds. The little row of lights flash and I let go, putting it down on my bed. I drag myself downstairs and head directly for the kitchen. I go straight to the cupboard which is full of tins and packets and cans. "Where are you?" I mumble as I rummage around. My hand hits the cold glass and I form a firm grip on the bottle, before pulling it towards me from the back of the piled up cupboard. I set the bottle on the counter and return my hand back into the cupboard. Soon, my hand hits another glass bottle. I pull this forward only to see its ketchup. I replace the bottle and dive in again. This time the bottle I pull out matches the first one. 

Taking hold of the bottle necks in one hand, I start dawdling back upstairs.

"Middle fingers up if you don't give a fuck!" I sing-shout a long. That's the thing, I care too much. Throwing the bottles onto the bed with a clink, I grab the laptop and pull it onto my lap as I sit in the middle of my bed. I open four word documents and an internet browser. I open Facebook and log in. Changing straight back to the word documents, I start to type. Is this a little formal? Maybe I should hand write them. Yeah, I'll do that. I close the documents without saving and pull open my draw by the side of the bed. I rummage my hand around and grasp onto a notepad and pen. I flip it open and begin scribbling away. It’s mainly full of apologies; one for Josh, one for Demi, one for Jennel and one for Miss Davis.

Demi’s POV

I scroll down my contact list as I walk towards my car. Getting in, I click on her number and press call. On the fifth ring she picks up.

“h-hello?” she answers.

“Hey Nic, everything okay?”

“Yeah.” She breath catches, as if she’s crying.

“Are you crying?” I ask slowly.

“No, well yeah, I stubbed my toe when I got up to get my phone.”

“Oh. Ouch, sorry!” I laugh and she laughs shakily back down the line. “I’m just calling to say that Josh’s doctor’s appointment has been cancelled, but I’ve got to run into the studio. There’s been a problem and it’s urgent apparently.”

“Okay, that’s fine.” She replies.

“It’s only two at the moment and Jennel won’t be home till at least five. Is it okay if I drop Josh off with you? Will you be okay with him on your own?” I ask.

“Demi, we’ll be fine okay?” she sounds as if she’s trying to convince herself more then me.

“Okay. Also I’ve booked some flights, I hope you don’t mind. Over your summer holidays, we’re going to go out to America and you can meet the rest of my family.”

“Er, I don’t know Dem.” Her voice flat and deflated.

“Don’t worry, we’ll talk about it when I get home tonight. I’ll see you later. Oh wait, did you have a free period today or something?”

“Yeah, last lesson. Okay, bye.” She hangs up and I lock my phone. I drive to pick up Josh and then head straight back, explaining to Josh what’s happening. I tell him about America and he seems really excited, bless him.