Chapter 21

Demi's POV

I walked into the cold, echo filled school building. Bags dumped in my classroom, I headed straight to the head teachers office. He called me through to his room and I explained what happened with the class and Nicole. He told me there was nothing we could do that I hadn't already done. Pathetic. I also took the opportunity to tell him I would be leaving at the end of this term. He did not seem surprised. I hate that man.

The school slowly filled up and I headed back to my classroom. Miss Duck was doing registration this morning, so I went to the staffroom after I collected my bags.

Hands wrapped round a mug of boiling coffee, I sat and listened to some compositions. A couple stood out, but none of them were anything special. Every so often I'd sink down in my seat as I listened to the music. The bell rung for second lesson and in walked the class. The day went by so painfully slow.

Nicole’s POV

I’m fully aware of what they’re saying. Every single line of spiteful truth, that falls from their lips. Every side ward's glance towards me, the hushed tones and sniggering as I walk past.

I know they talk only of my past,  the memories that haunt me daily. My day consists of turning up to lessons, not saying anything, hiding between lessons and during breaks, and just keeping my head down. The aim is to merely survive school right now. I don’t have to enjoy it, just get through it.

I live by the bell, each ring brings me closer to being able to get out of here. I can get lost in the world of music and pain.

About time; the bell just rang signaling the end of school. The whole school population and I are in the rush trying to get out of this prison as quickly as possible. No one is moving anywhere, except the teachers shouting at us to “Walk on the left!” and to “Keep moving!” as they weave and push their way through the mobs, trying to get to their cars. It takes about twenty minutes to get out of the school grounds. Pulling out my phone, I lean against a tree on the corner of the street. I select Demi’s contact and then call. On the fourth ring she picks up.

“Hey, where are you?” she answers cheerily.

“Hi, I’m outside school. I feel like walking today, so I’ll see you back at home.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah.”

“Okay, stay to the roads, keep your phone on and be back by dark. I’ll get Josh, call if you have any problems.” She lectures.

“Will do, thanks Demi.” I reply, hanging up the call. I slide my phone into my blazer pocket and start walking. I want to go to the seven sisters. I want to feel peaceful. After a while I come across the bus stop we used to wait at when I was younger. The bus arrived and I got on board. Paying the faire to Eastbourne, I take a seat next to the window and plug into my iPod. 50 minutes later, I’m walking up to the seven sisters.

I sit on one of the rocks by the edge and just take in the atmosphere around me; wind blowing through my hair, seagulls soaring through the sky, waves crashing against the cliff face. Nothing has changed.

I have all these emotions I don’t want to feel. Crying doesn’t help, I’m doing that now and I only feel worse. I reach into my bag and rummage until my fingers feel the canvas of the pencil case. I unzip it and pull out the tin. Rolling up my sleeve, I fish out the blade. Running it up and down my skin and watching the blood trickle. I feel my emotions pour out of me. As if they live in my blood.

Cleaning the fresh cuts, I put away the blade and replaced the pencil case into my bag.

No one disturbs me, except the odd dog and it’s owner. I feel my phone buzz in my pocket, I pull it out and see that it’s Demi.