Chapter 17

Nicole's POV

Do I trust Demi enough to be my legal guardian?  The thing is that I want her to be, but I'm probably only likely to trust her enough once its happened. What happens if I say yes? What's going to change? I don't know what I want anymore.

Considering I've only just woken up, this is some pretty deep thinking. I got out of bed and walked into the bathroom. I showered and got dressed into my uniform. I straightened my hair and pulled on a few bracelets. I grabbed hold of my school bag and made my way downstairs. Its about six thirty am, so no one is down here yet. Toasting a Pop Tart and pouring myself a glass of orange juice, I made my breakfast. I then sat ay the table and ate my food, whilst attempting to complete my homework I should've done last night.

Demi appeared in the doorway about half an hour later. "Morning, how come your doing work now?" she asked me sleepily.

"Because I didn't get much chance to do it last night." I replied.

"Need a hand?"

"Any good at fractions?" I asked. She smiled and came over to help me. After about ten minutes Jennel and Josh joined us in the kitchen. I packed away my books and washed up my dishes. Josh has an inset day today, which means he doesn't have to go to school.

Demi and I got in the car for the ride to school. "Have you thought about what I said last night?" Demi asked casually. We pulled away from the curb and started moving through the streets.

"Yeah, I have. And um. I want to be able to trust you enough, but I don't know if I can." I replied. There was a few minutes of silence.

"I understand. What can I do to make you trust me again?" I thought about her question for a bit. If she pretends to be something, that's not gaining my trust. So I guess she just needs to be herself.

"Just be you." I replied. She nodded. "How was the studio?" I asked eventually. She started rambling on about her whole experience yesterday and how amazing it was. I'm really happy for Demi. She kept talking until we pulled into a parking space.

"Ready?" she asked. No I'm not ready. The thought of having to spend another seven hours un this place with these people makes me feel sick. "Oh, I forgot to mention. We have a meeting with the head at 10.30."

"And you're telling me this because?"

"We. You, need to be there as well."

"Why?" I asked. Why the hell would I need to be at a meeting, unless I've done something wrong.

"He wants us both there."

"Okay, I'll see you then. Um, Demi?"

"Yup?"

"Could you like keep your distance from me a little today?"

"Why?" she asked looking worried.

"Its just some people aren't very excepting of it and I don't want to fuel rumour's right now." Demi had an unsure look spread across her face, but still she agreed. 

"Okay, I'll see you at 10.30 then. Have a good day."

"You too!" I replied cheerily as I got out of the car. Slinging my bag over my shoulder, I walked towards the building. Weaving through the crowds of people, I was pushed, pulled and tripped up all over the place. Fuck sake. Why can’t they just leave me alone? I’ve done nothing to them.

I stopped off at my locker and then headed straight to form. Once we were registered, we all split off to our lessons. Maths. I handed in my homework at the end of the lesson and headed off to Science.