Chapter Twenty-six

Song: "Unsteady" By: X Ambassadors

"W-What?" 

I stared at him. His mother is dead? I couldn't imagine what it would be like to have a parent who is dead. Hell, I couldn't even imagine what it would be like to have anyone you know dead.

"She's gone," his voice cracked. Guilt swirled in his eyes as he added, "And its all my fault."

"What happened?" I asked quietly. He stared at my for a moment before gesturing for my to sit down on the bed next to him. I did just that.

I watched as his Adam's apple bobbed up and down as he swallowed. He didn't look at me but stared at my window. "I was 14 years-old when my mom died. My family was close to each other. My parents would take Peyton and I to get ice cream all the time when we were kids. We went to beach, park, you name it, we did it. My life was perfect. My father was Alpha and everyone loved him. My mother was the perfect Luna, so kind and beautiful. Everyone loved her. One day my pack was attacked by a group of hunters who had an alliance with Rogues. They had a goal to get rid of all the strongest packs. I was with my mom at the time of the attack. I remember it perfectly. My mother was saying goodnight to me and a man had broken through my window and held a gun to her head. It was a gun with silver bullets. Before I could even get out of my bed to defend my mom, she was dead." He squeezed his eyes shut at the memory, "I can still hear the sound of her screaming and the sound of the gun going off."

I was completely silent, listening to his story. I didn't want to show him pity because I know thats probably the last thing he wanted. I know I didn't like the pity looks I received from Sarina and my family when they had found out about Kyan.

"Its not your fault–" I began but Parker cut me off.

"It was damn well fault! If I was quick enough she would still be alive! My father wouldn't have blamed me for her death and began abusing me! I had to deal with it until I was able to get strong enough to defend myself. He ended up killing himself. Some of the pack members blamed me for their Luna's death, hell I don't even know if some of them still blame me to this day!" He raised his voice. He clenched his fists and his jaw. He took a deep breath. "After he killed himself, I became closed off from any emotion. I became harsh and cruel even when Peyton tried to comfort me. I guess you could say I was a mommy's boy and took her death a lot harder than she did. I was so closed off not even my Beta or Delta were capable of bringing me back. I regret a lot of things I've done. If I had a chance to go back in time to change everything, I would." He leaned forward and buried his face in his hands.

I got off of the bed and kneeled in front of him pulling his hands away from his face. His eyes were glassy and I felt as if someone was stabbing me in the stomach repeatedly. I didn't know what to say to him. I was afraid that anything I could say would make him angry or wouldn't be the right thing to say. Instead, I cupped his face and wiped his tears away with the pads of my thumbs like he had done for me. I tried to ignore the shocks and warmth running through me as I touched him but it was so hard to ignore.