Chapter Four

~COPYRIGHT 2011~

*Nik’s POV*

I headed into the hospital and walked straight up to the front desk. The young nurse looked up and smiled at me, her eyes twinkling. I could tell she was a werewolf and a frisky one too. Her scent was giving her away. Great, I really did not want to deal with something like this right now.

“How may I help you?” she asked politely, still looking me in the eyes.

“I need to know where Caleb Archer’s room is. I’m family,” I told her. I was obviously lying but at this hospital you needed to be related to the patient in order to get that information.

“Hmm, let’s me see,” she said and hunched over the desk, trying to expose her cleavage. I rolled my eyes. “Mr. Archer is in room 103B.”

“Thank you,” I said and went to turn away.

“Come back soon,” she said.

I turned back to face her and smiled bitterly. “No thanks. I have a mate. I suggest you find yours before you sleep with every living male wolf,” I growled.

Then I proceeded to walk away. That chick had seriously pissed me off. Ever since I found my mate, other girls have been getting on my nerves. I found the door I was looking for and stepped in. Caleb was lying on the bed, hooked up to a bunch of machines, bandages wrapped on his head and arms. His mother, Sarah, was sleeping peacefully next to the bed in a chair. I walked over to her and tapped her on the shoulder until she jolted from her slumber.

“Niklaus?” she asked, stifling a yawn. “What’re you doing here?”

“Matt sent me. He wants me to watch over Caleb. Why don’t you go home and get some rest? You look like you need it,” I said.

“No, I don’t,” she protested.

She needed it more than she knew. She looked horrible with puffy eyes, dark circles and her hair all messed up.

“Yes you do. Now go before I carry you out,” I ordered.

“God, you are exactly like my sons! So persistent!” she exclaimed, getting up. “Thank you Nik. It means a lot.”

“No problem Mrs. Archer,” I said with a smile as she hugged me.

She released from the embrace and went out the door. I sighed and slumped down into the chair that she had previously occupied. Twenty minutes later I heard shuffling. I looked up to see Caleb opening his eyes and fidgeting to get comfortable. He finally regained full consciousness and looked up at me.

“Hey man. Glad to see you’re okay,” I said. “Do you want something to eat or drink?” He nodded. “Alright, what’ll it be?”