Chapter Eleven

Reborn: The Boy Who Discovered He Wasn't

by SabrynaBrooklynne 

Chapter 11

===============

Karyn's 501 Monroe Grill on South Fifth Avenue happened to be one of the most expensive and exclusive restaurant/bar establishments in the whole town.

It was the kind of place where you had to know people just to get in the door without a reservation, and James knew the waiting list was normally two months long or more.

He asked his mom about it, but his mom assured him it wouldn't be an issue. Apparently, his mom knew people. After all, she was the best designer at her firm and had said many times that other design firms have tried to convince her to go work for them. That made her one of the most sought-after designers around and well known too.

Thinking about what that meant, he straightened his back, held his head higher, and said to himself,  Wow, my mom knows people.

With an air of confidence in his stride and a smile on his face, he followed his mom through the door and into the dimly-lit, very expensively decorated restaurant.

On the walls, were expensive looking antique paintings of people from early 19th century England, in powdered wigs and fancy dress, dancing at a ball.

Beautiful crystal chandeliers hung from the ceiling all around the dining area and long-steamed candles and bouquets of long-stemmed rose centerpieces adorned every one of the white-linen-covered tabletops.

James glanced around the dining area and observed all the females in the restaurant. They were all dressed as nice as he was, or nicer and all the males wore expensive suits.  

He stood next to a small tree covered in white L.E.D. lights while his mom had a few words with the guy at the host podium. James stood there watching his mom and observed the young man as they talked.

He was a tall, golden-tanned boy with a light-brown buzz-cut head of hair, green eyes, and a chiseled, rugged face. Judging from his broad shoulders and large chest, James decided he obviously frequented a gym. He also guessed the guy was probably between 20 and 24 years old.

Probably has a hot supermodel-type girlfriend, too, he told himself as he imagined this guy's girlfriend being a Gigi Hadid look-a-like.

As James stood there waiting for his mom, he glanced to the side and realized that part of the wall was mirrored.

Noticing his own reflection, James reached up to adjust his hair and his thoughts turned to what he looked like right now.

He began to compare himself with the host and started a conversation in his thoughts.

When I'm his age, James began to ask himself, will I be able to look in the mirror and find that I look a lot like him, or will I find that I look more like mom did at his age? To be honest, there's not a trace of a boy even in this mirror, but who is it? Is that me, really me? Am I supposed to be this beautiful young lady that is staring back at me?

He stared himself in the eyes, searching for an answer. After a moment, he turned his gaze to his hair and then his beautifully made up face and ruby red lips. His eyes began to travel lower and ended up on his chest.

Well, he continued the conversation in his head, I do have sumthin' only girls are supposed to have . . . budding boobs, but does that mean I am a girl? Even the doctor agreed that I was definitely a boy and like she said, they could be removed, but . . . do I want that? What do I want? Who do I want to be? . . . Do I want to be like that guy, with a hot girlfriend, or do I want to be more like his girlfriend with a guy just like him by my side? Ewwww gross, I don't like boys like tha- -