Chapter Twenty-two

Reborn: The Boy Who Discovered He Wasn't

by SabrynaBrooklynne

Chapter 22

======================

James took off in the direction of the Piercing Parlor with complete confidence. Carol caught up, walking proudly beside him.

They walked no more than fifty feet before James spotted a sale sign outside a store, about five shops ahead.

The first thing to catch his eyes were the words 'Sale' and 'Batman'. He looked at his mom as he exclaimed, "You know Batman is my favorite superhero. Can we go in that store?"

Carol's first thought was one of disappointment because, as she thought to herself, Batman's not a feminine character, why can't you like a character like Wonder Woman, Supergirl or Black Widow instead? Just when I think you're becoming more feminine you go and do something that one again reminds me of James. But, she didn't say that to James. Instead, she responded with, "Sure, we can look."

When Carol said this, look is what she meant. In her mind, look and buy were not synonyms. She wasn't so sure that was true in her child's mind.

James began to walk faster than his mom, straight towards the store with the sale, his shoe's still delicately squeaking with each step. As he got closer he saw the smaller print which said, "thirty-five percent off all Batman clothing and accessories, this week only."

James stepped into the store. Not waiting for his mom to catch up, he headed right to the left wall of the store, which was all Batman themed.

Carol entered and looked around the front of the store for James. After a couple seconds, she spotted her child looking at a rack of clothing next to a Batman display. As she walked up she saw that James was already holding a package in one hand and removing an article of clothing from the rack with the other.

She asked him, "What you got there?"

Excitedly, James answered, "Look at this shirt, mom. Isn't it the coolest Batman tee-shirt ever? Check it out."

Carol looked at the shirt and saw that it was a fitted, girl's black tee-shirt with yellow lettering that said, "'Keep Calm And Call Batman." She also noticed what was in his other hand and asked about it.

"So, what else you got there? In your other hand?"

"Oh, yeah," James replied as he turned the package around for his mom to get a better view of it. "Only the perfect thing to go with this tee-shirt --- black tights with yellow Batman logos all over them."

"Wow, those are cute." Carol took one look at the tights and had to admit if only to herself, she would love to see James wearing those.

At that moment she made the decision that she would buy the tights and an outfit to match. She put out the suggestion without actually saying, I want to buy you an outfit.

Instead, she suggested, "You can't just wear that tee-shirt and those tights. What would you wear with it?"

"Well, I have those Batman earrings you bought me to go with my bikini."

"True, but what else?"

James looked back at her mom with a facial expression that said he didn't exactly know what his mom meant so she volunteered a suggestion.

"Let's look for you a skirt to go with those," Carol replied, trying to read James's face for a reaction.

Carol then turned and walked over to another rack, where she began looking for a black skirt.