Chapter Five

"There are nightmares rising from the shadows, and they hunger for our dying hope." (Grimoire: The Hive)

   I slept on the ride back. Dreaming for the first time in a while. I saw vivid images of different kinds of creatures. I heard gunfire along with people screaming. I heard a voice calling out to me in the darkness. It wasn't a pretty sight and that name kept coming up in my head. Mara. "Guardian. Wake up." Alex said. I sat up in my seat and saw that we had arrived at the tower. "Home...Time to get some shut eye back at the apartment." I said as i got out of the ship. Of course Amanda was waiting for us. "So. Did ya get that part that you needed?" She asked us. My ghost made the engine part appear in front of her and I smiled. "Wow. This looks like the exact part that your ship needs. Im impressed guardian although I never expected anything less. Where did you find it?" She asked me. Her smile and her country accent was heartwarming and it radiated towards me. Although with what I had to say, her expression would change drastically.
"I had to kill an Archon."
"YOU DID WHAT??"
I laughed at her reaction as it was almost priceless. I told her the story as Alex flew about to gather information on our next mission and then some. Once he came back I was listening to Amanda and her stories that she had to tell. "Guardian." My ghost said. I looked over at him and stood up. "Yes?" I said. "The speaker would like to have a word with you."
"The speaker? Who's that?" I asked. "Just follow me and all will be answered." Alex said. I said my goodbyes to Amanda and went to the West side of the tower. There was a big looking device in the center of the area which seemed like a machine you could walk into along with an amazing view of the city. It was amazing and pleasing to the eye. The vibrant colors of the sunset and the many lights illuminating the city below. You could hear the trains moving and the city people interacting with one another almost like there is nothing bad happening outside the world around them. It was peaceful and it felt like home. Then I looked up at the Traveler. "Hey Alex. Did the Traveler do all of this? The city and the Tower?" I asked. "No one really knows. It was a combination of everyone as far as I know." He said. I looked up in wonder and amazement. The endless possibilities that the Traveler held spiked my curiosity. Then I heard a voice behind me."There was a time....when we were much more powerful. But that was long ago..." He said. I turned around and saw a man dressed in all white. his face covered. "You must be the Speaker." I said. His posture, voice, and religious like gesture made him seem like a really important person. "Until it wakes and finds its voice, I am the one who speaks for the Traveler." He said. He walked over to me and gestured me to follow. We walked along the overwatch area and before I could speak he spoke for me. "You must have no end of questions Guardian." He said. "Yeah...What is all of this?" I asked.
"In its dying breath the Traveler created the Ghosts, to seek out those who can wield its light as a weapon—Guardians, to protect us, and do what the Traveler itself no longer can." The Speaker said. I looked over at him. "What happened to it? The Traveler?" I asked. He looked down a little bit. "I could tell you of the great battle, centuries ago...how the Traveler was crippled. I could tell you of the power of the Darkness, its ancient enemy. There are many tales told throughout the City to frighten children. Lately those tales have stopped. Now...the children are all frightened anyway." The Speaker said. His voice was saddened. He was hurt just by speaking those words. I could feel the sorrow and drought around him in that very moment. He faced me and i could tell he was looking at me straight in my eyes. "The Darkness is coming back. We will not survive it this time."
"It's armies surround us. The fallen are just the beginning." Alex said. I thought about everything that has happened over the course of the last day or so and what I could do to help the situation out with the rest of the Guardians here at the tower. I finally spoke. "What can I do?"
"You must push back the Darkness. Guardians are fighting on Earth and beyond...join them. Your Ghost will guide you. I only hope he chose wisely." The Speaker said. I nodded as he walked back to his post. I looked over at Alex. "I did..Im sure of it. We're in this together now." He said. I gave him a smile. "I only promise to try ya know." I said. We made our way back to the apartment in the city to rest and sleep for the evening and then the next day we got ready for our next mission in the Cosmodrome. We made our way to the Vanguard to see what our next mission was and it was to investigate an abandoned outpost. I got my gear and we made our way back to the Cosmodrome to investigate.
          "The Fallen have been retracting from this outpost nearby the Skywatch. We believe that something is disturbing them and the Vanguard want us to confirm anything." Alex said as I flew the ship. "This shouldn't be too bad. My new powers should be able to let us prevail against these guys. It's probably just more Fallen having a turf war." I said. We landed at a nearby Beacon and I got out of the ship. "Well Alex, lead the way." I said. He appeared and showed me my pathway. I followed the trail into a building with a huge satellite and walked inside. The walls were missing in certain areas and dirt had covered the stairs in some places. The deeper I moved the darker it got. It made me feel uncomfortable, like someone was watching me. "Alex...anything nearby?" I asked. Alex appeared and scanned the area. "There's...something....I'm detecting movement above us. We need to go through that door." He said. He floated over and started hacking the security and slowly the door opened.
          "Here we go..." I said. I swallowed my fear and forged ahead. The walls were covered is what seemed to be pores and black clumps of something that looked like pimples along with a fowl smell of a corpse. "Oh my god....it smells and looks disgusting....what is this..?" I said outloud. I climbed the stairs and walked into this big room. Alex was moving around and shinning a light. "Don't....move...." He said. "What? What's wrong?" I asked. I looked around and saw what looked like a skeleton glued to the walls and the structures in the center of a room but then they all started charging at me. Their numbers grew by the second. "Woah!!"
          I immediately opened fire on anything that was moving which was everything two feet in front of me. My heart racing and my hands shaking slightly from the roars and chalkboard grinding screams that these things let out. Once the screaming had stopped all was quiet again. "Alex what the hell was that?!" I asked as I moved toward a nearby door and up more stairs. "The Hive. They've infected the Cosmodrome. If the Thrall are here then there's definitely a Wizard nearby. We have to kill it." He said. I reloaded my gun and made a break to the top of the stairs and into an open area. Monsters with three eyes and guns looked at me and opened fire but they didn't know that they were dealing with a Warlock. I threw a grenade and killed most of the enemies but then a monster who looked to be dressed in robes appeared and started firing blasts at me. I quickly ran for cover and then formed a ton of Void energy but then it went away. "Crap I can't use my giant grenade."
          "Novabomb." Alex said correcting me. "Whatever. Same thing." I said. I pulled out my rocket launcher and aimed it at the Wizard and pulled the trigger. It made contact and exploded. "Aw yeah!" I said celebrating but then I got hit by a blast and got launched back. "What the--Is that thing still alive?" I said as I crawled back into cover. Once I recovered from my stagger I looked and saw a red aura around the Wizard. "Shield. Great." I said. I started firing my assault rifle at the Wizard and with enough bullets the red light surrounding the Wizard soon went away. "Try it now!" Alex said. I pulled out my rocket once more and fired a shell at the Wizard. It soon turned to dust and the room was clear. "This isn't good...are these things supposed to be here...?" I asked. Alex popped out of my helmet and looked around. "We need to go back to the Tower and let the Vanguard know what we found. If the Hive are in the Cosmodrome then the Fallen won't be our only problem here." He said. I agreed and we went back to the ship. These Hive creatures were fascinating but, of course, another force of the Darkness to worry about