Chapter Sixteen

"I am noble too, oh Lord of Wolves. Starlight was my mother; and my father was the dark." (Grimoire: The Queen)

          Many of the events that have transpired throughout my resurrection have been many to behold of a newfound light like myself. Many of the things I look back upon to this day. My achievements. My partnerships. But what will forever hit me will be the Queen. My love. Mara. I still had something to settle before it was too late. We all landed near the Tower and we stood there. I had Ta'aurc's helmet in my hand. "So. What's gonna happen now?" Ox asked me. "You wait for my signal. You all have been amazing friends and partners." I said smiling. "So I heard that the Vault of Glass is actually exploitable and a place to explore. Should we try and go for it after all this is over?" Royal asked. Ox looked at him funny. "You're crazy. You want us to go against Atheon? We wouldn't survive." He said. I patted his shoulder. "Never say never. I'd be down to go against him if we can take out the heart of the Black Garden. Priorities first, ok?" I said. He nodded and I made my way to the Tower. "What are you gonna do now?" Royal asked. "I'm gonna settle a few more things before our final mission." I said. I made my way to the Vanguard and I sat down the helmet of Valus Ta'aurc right in front of Zavala. No one could say anything. No one wanted to. Ikora smiled and Cayde whistled to himself. I looked right at Zavala.
          "I'm going to the Black Garden. With or without your help. I'm not a child that you can just hold on a leash. I AM a Guardian. And I won't tolerate this." I said. Zavala walked over to me. "You've been reckless, negligent, and arrogant Parrish. And that's something that the Tower will not accept from a Guardian like yourself. But. You have shown the most bravery, the most progress, and the greatest leadership out of any of the Guardians that I've seen in my time." He said. I looked at him puzzled. "Did...you just complement me?" I asked. He laughed slightly. "Good job out there Guardian." He said. I smiled. I was finally accepted as the guardian that I was ment to be. Alex floated next to me. "Shall we head back to Mars?" He asked. "Woah woah woah. You can't leave without a parting gift. Come back later on, ok?" Cayde said. "You got it." I said. I left the halls of the Vanguard and I made my way back to my room. I decided to hop on the window and sit. Watching the stars. "Alex?"
          "Yes Parrish?"
          "At first, I thought you had picked someone who was unfit to be a Guardian. I see now that I was proven wrong. I do have what it takes to become what I was destined to be. I've come so far and improved so much. It's crazy. And I can't thank you enough for guiding me through all of this. And here we are about to take on the Black Garden. It's truly a sight to behold, ya know?" I said. "You'll be looking forward to it. I can tell." He said. I couldn't help but look up at the Traveler and the many stars in the night sky. It was beautiful. Alex started glowing slightly. "You have an incoming call from the Reef." He said. I hopped back inside the room and closed the window. "It must be another favor from The Queen. Patch me through." I said. Alex did so and I soon hear her voice. "Guardian..."
          "Your Grace. Need my assistance again?"
          "What is your name?"
          "What?"
          "Tell me now. What is it?"
          "Parrish...Parrish Hargraves."
          All was silent. She didn't say a word. I was nervous. Worried more than anything else. The anxiety that I felt as I waited for her next few words ate away at me. Alex looked at me and soon she spoke again. "Why...why didn't you say so before...? You left me out in the darkness...you...you promised me..." She said with sadness in her voice. "Mara...you remember..."
          "I remember clearly...and I don't want to anymore." She said. I was shocked by her words. "Mara please let me explain." I said. There was no response. "Alex get her back."
          "Sorry. The signal to the Reef is outbound only."
          "Damnit...then I'll go to her."
          "Are you sure?"
          "I haven't been wrong before."
          I gathered my things and rushed to the shipyard. I didn't bother having my armor or anything. Just my street clothes. I hopped in my ship and flew straight to the Reef. Once there I ran to her chambers. The throne was quiet and the guards rushed me along with Uldren. "You must be mad if you think that you can just stroll along and disturb this place! I'll have you thrown in the prison for this." He said angrily. "Put a sock in it Uldren. This doesn't concern you." I retorted as the guards began to beat me down to my knees. Once I was on the ground Uldren stood above me. "Weak. Very weak. And fragile. Toss him away." He said. The guards picked me up and threw me out of the throne room. I fell and sat there for a moment. Alex appeared. "Parrish are you alright?" He asked me. I didn't say anything. I just got up and dusted myself off. "No. No I'm not...I just lost someone closer to me than anyone." I said. I walked over to my ship but before I could board it I saw Mara standing there. "Mara..."
          "Parrish...you still didn't answer me back there." She said. I sighed and walked over to her. "I...I died back there. In that ambush. I promised to protect you. And I failed..." I said. She stepped closer to me. "You didn't fail completely. I'm still alive aren't I? I'm just different. That's all..."
          "You make it sound like a bad thing."
          "I'm no longer human...I'm...this. I've been corrupted by darkness. Torn away from the light yet...I survived. So you did prevent my death but my corruption was inevitable. Even if you were alive to try and stop it."
          "You don't know that Mara."
          "But look at me...why even bother with me."
          "Do you hear yourself? Mara I still love you...just like at the Academy. Just like when you and I got to see the stars together. I still do. Do you remember that?"
          She was silent. A tear slipping down her cheek. "Parrish..."
          "You must need a reminder. Maybe I can bring back a memory or two." I said. I took her hands into mine and pulled her close. She looked up at me. Tears in her eyes. I leaned in close and so did she. Our lips met and memories began to flood back into my brain. The kiss became more intimate and meaningful as her arms went around my neck and my hands held onto her waist. I felt her cheeks and brushed away her tears. I broke away for a moment. "It really is you...it truly is you...Parrish." She said. I smiled and so did she. It was just as great as it was before the Collapse. She let me go and I did the same. "You're going to the Black Garden aren't you?" She asked me. "Yeah. I have to finish this. We're so close to ending the way with the Darkness. Once it's gone then I'll return." I said as I got into my ship. She looked at me and smiled. "Promise me. Promise me you'll come back to me alive this time." She said. I smiled and held a thumbs up. She waved and smiled brightly as I flew away from the Reef. Alex appeared again. "Everything better now?" He asked. I smiled to myself. "Yeah. Everything is alright. Let's go and get the others. It's time." I said. He disappeared and we made our way back to the Tower.