Chapter Eight

"Your foray into the Hive fortress marks the beginning of our next battle against an ancient foe. After centuries of silence, they have turned their will against Earth. We must be ready for this war." (Grimoire: The Dark Beyond)

          I celebrated after my arrival back in the Tower. I knew it would be short lived because I had to make my way to the moon very soon. I decided to get some food and soda and rest in my new room that Cayde gave me. "Ya know Alex, it's only been a few days here and I've already accomplished so much. Restored my ship, learned about my powers, killed an Archon and even a Prime Servitor. I think I've made some good progress." I said as I cracked open a can of soda. Alex floated around me and cut on the tv. "Yeah. For a Guardian that's a big step. Especially concidering how long you've been here. There are far more skilled people here than you that can do thing like this." He said.
          "Is that supposed to make me feel better?" I said jokingly. He just sighed and relaxed as he floated in the air. I watched tv for a little bit until I eventually fell asleep. I fell into another vision or a dream. I saw more of the Fallen and fires everywhere. I saw Mara. We were with other people but they weren't human but they looked scared to death. I watched as they all cowered in fear. Mara held onto me tightly. Her hair covering her face as she hid her face into my chest. I looked around the room more and saw that we weren't on earth. We were on another planet but before I could piece the puzzle together I woke up to a knock at my door. I rubbed my eyes and opened the door. "Yes?" I answered. It was Cayde. "Hey Guardian. I hope I'm not interrupting. It's about that time." He said. I stretched and yawned. "What's up? Is it time to go to the moon?"
          "Indeed. You and Gold will be going there for your first mission until we can better assess the situation. Once we see what we're dealing with then we can go and see about single missions. Gold is already on the moon so he'll be waiting on you." Cayde said. "Alright. I'll get on that and meet him there." He said as he walked away. I closed the door and suited up. Once dressed, me and Alex made our way to the ship and made our way to the moon. Once out of earths orbit Alex took the wheel. "I always looked up to the moon at night and wondered what the Hive were doing. But all the activity I could pick up was hazy; like it was blocked or buried." Alex said. I looked at the moon as we began our decent. "Why would be Hive be here?" I asked. "We gave up the Moon to keep the Hive away from earth. We hoped that would be enough for them..." Alex said. I looked and saw Gold and his ship at the landing spot. Alex landed and I hopped out and said hello.
          "So. What are we dealing with?" I asked. "We're gonna pick up a signal from an old Guardian that went dark nearby. We are gonna pick up his trail." He said. I nodded and we made our way to a nearby outpost. "Hey Alex?" I asked. He popped out. "Yeah?"
          "Does my helmet provide unlimited oxygen or something?" I asked a bit curious and a tad bit concerned. "Yes it does. So don't take it off." He said. I nodded and moved forward with Gold. "This outpost was apparently claimed by an unknown Fallen House." Gold said. I moved forward until we reached a computer console. "Alex can you tap into this?" I asked. He floated towards the console and began to re-activate the outpost. "Done. Now then. We can pick up the trail of the Guardian." Alex said. I looked around because something didn't feel right. It felt like me and Gold weren't the only ones here in the outpost. "Gold, I feel like the Fallen are here. Or someone is here. Could they have followed us?" I asked. He looked around and soon I heard footsteps. I pulled out my rifle and pulled the trigger at a moving shadow and killed a Fallen Vandal. "Ambush. Move!" I said. Alex vanished and Gold moved forward out of the Outpost; killing more and more Fallen as we moved outside. Skiffs break orbit and drop off more of the Fallen soldiers and we take them or one by one.
          Once the battlefield was clear, Gold and I looked over the bodies that lie motionless on the ground. "You guys can summon your sparrows now. We're good to go." Alex said. I smiled and summoned my ride and Gold summoned his. "Race to the next objective?" I asked. He reved up his engine. "I'll leave you in the dust." He said taunting me. He lined up next to me. "Alright. On the count of three. Ready?"
          "Ready to win."
          "Ok then.....THREE!" I shouted as I took off catching him off guard. I laughed to myself but he caught up quickly. "That was such a dirty move!" He shouted. "All is fair in love and war." I said. Our race began as we moved smoothly across the surface of the moon; using the various craters as ramps for tricks and flips. We followed a trail and soon arrived at another station. This one was much bigger than before. We got off our sparrows and walked along a ramp leading up to a come in the center of the area. "Alex, where are we?" I asked. He floated around and scanned the area. "The Vanguard says that this is the last known location of the Guardian who went missing. He must have camped here. I can pick up his trail nearby." Alex said. Gold looked out of the holes in the dome structure. "I think I found the trail. Let's go Parrish." He said. Alex vanished and we moved along the edge of a clif and began walking in between the structures of what seemed to be a bunker or a ravine.
          "The ground beneath us is hollowed out for miles. Who knows what's going on under our feet." Alex said. "Alex, you don't even have feet." I said back to him. We eventually found an opening and arrived at a giant door. "Is this...the Hive territory?" Gold asked a bit nervous. "More like a huge Hive gate. It looks locked." I said as we walked forward. I looked around and felt nothing but dark and negative energy. I could tell that Gold felt it too. He and I walked slowly towards the gate until Alex spoke. "Up ahead. Guardian down!" He said. We looked and saw a body buried in the rubble of the moon. We ran to him and Alex scanned his body. "This is the Guardian who went dark." I said. "Is he revivable?" Gold asked. "I doubt it. There's nothing left...he looks like he's been here for ages." I said as I crouched to look at the armor. "He's right...but...where is his ghost?" Alex asked as he checked the Hive gate. I looked around the area but then I saw a figure standing in the distance. It was small. It had a human like figure but I could barely see her face. Once I made it out I saw a robotic face. An Exo.
          "Um...Parrish? Something isn't right." Gold said. I turned to look at him and felt the ground shake slightly. I looked back to where the Exo figure was but it was gone. "Guys....we may want to move back." Alex said as he vanished. Suddenly the locks on the Hive gate vanished and the door opened slowly. "Oh hell." I said. Suddenly a sea of seemingly endless Thrall began to pour out of the gates. "We've woken the Hive!"
          "Gold and I unloaded everything we had into them but they just kept coming. We had to clear the area and fast. "Gold give me a boost." I said. He sat his gun down and held his hands out. I sprinted towards him and he launched me a bit higher in the air. I threw a Novabomb and destroyed the Thrall that we're pinning us down. Then Gold followed up with his own Novabomb and finished off everything else that moved. "I'm detecting the light of the ghost. It's inside!" Alex said. "Parrish let's go." Gold said. I ran in behind him and up a small ramp to see the Ghost trapped inside a small machine. "There it is." I said. I started to go after it but then a Hive Wizard cake out of the black ooze that was on the ground. This one was tougher than the rest that I've faced. "Gold, distract it. I'll handle it from here." I said. He nodded and got it's attention. It became agitated and attacked him. I pulled out my sniper and opened fire on the monster and soon it fell to ashes within a few shots. I walked over to the ghost and touched it. It began to float up and Alex scanned it but it then suddenly vanished in a bright blue light.
          "The ghost is dead but I could still read some of its memories. The Hive are breeding on the moon and are building an army to invade earth and drain the Traveler of its light...we need to stop them and alert the Vanguard." Alex said. Me and Gold looked at eachother. "Back to the Tower?" He asked. "I'll race you." I said joking with him. He punched me in my arm and I laughed.