Expansion 2: Chapter 1

"I am noble too, oh Lord of Wolves. Starlight was my mother; and my father was the dark." (Grimoire: Mara Sov)

          "So you're trying to tell me that you killed a Hive God with his own blade?" Mara asked me. I smiled and pulled out her chair. "Yes. Yes I am." I said. She took a seat and I pushed her in. We were currently having dinner like we agreed to after I came home from the Moon. I ended up bringing her to Earth so she could see one of the cities lovely dinner attractions. It was wonderful and she looked stunning in a dress. "You had me worried but all in all, I'm impressed. You're doing very well for yourself after recovering and first being revived." She said. I smiled and poured her a glass of wine. She took it and began to take small sips. "I will say. You all have amazing taste in beverages." She said smiling. "Well. It's nothing too special. It's Just wine." I said laughing a little. "Well I don't really have this stuff often so it's a lovely thing to enjoy when I get my hands on it." She said as she sat her glass down. I ordered food for us and all I could do was look at her. I can remember how she looked back in the Ishtar Academy. Her freckles made her overall look seem brighter. Even now as she is an Awoken, she's still stunning.
          "So. Mara. What have you been up to ever since...ya know. You became an Awoken." I asked. She looked at me a bit surprised as to how I'd ask such a question but she met my curiosity with a smile as she sipped wine from her glass. "Well...I guess it all started with me becoming the Queen of the Awoken. Although I was not the first. There were five other Monarchs before me. From each of them, I learned what I know today. I shadowed one of them and upon my chance to enter the throne, the Reef was slowly growing in power. Just like how you humans were evolving thanks to the Traveler. The Vestian Dynasty was established and soon I became its leader. My people were always territorial. Isolationists. But even without connection to Earth, I still managed to thrive alongside my people. My brother was prince. And we made sure to watch out for eachother." She said. I took a sip of my wine and listened in carefully. But then I ended up hittin another question in my mind. "What about the Fallen that are along side you?"
          "Those Fallen are my pets from the Reef Wars. Not many people outside of the Reef know about this battle. But ultimately, it ended up saving this city during the Battle of Twilight Gap. I prevented a possible invasion of 500,000 Fallen soldiers." She said. My eyes widened. The Battle of Twilight Gap was already huge enough in scale and thousands lost their lives. I couldn't imagine a combined force of a half a million Fallen. "What did you do?" I asked. She sat her glass down.
          "I slaughtered them. They were trespassing into my domain. I could have let them pass through and break a rule. Or. I could have ended them. Which I did. They were members of the now weakened House of Wolves. I slaughtered their Kell, or their leader, and took the rest of the survivors. I gave them a choice. Either live with loyalty towards me, or suffer in the Prison of Elders. Eventually another Kell would try to pick up the pieces and overrule the house. But I stepped in and captured him. Selling him off to the Nine." She said. Soon our food arrived and we began to eat. "That's crazy. You wiped out such a huge army." I said.
          "The Awoken are not a threat to be taken lightly." She said. "You got that right." I said laughing a little. "After becoming the Kell of the House of Wolves, I captured Skolas. Forcing the fellow Wolves to turn against one another. Although I couldn't have done it without a friendly ally. Variks of House Judgement. One of my close Fallen friends. Or the only Fallen that I concider a friend." She said.
          "You have time to socialize like this don't you? I mean with the other Awoken?"
          "I am apart of the Vestian Dynasty. I'm not one to socialize very often...but every now and again I always find time for a book like the old days."
          "You're still such a bookworm."
          "But you love this bookworm. Top of the class for a reason."
          "I swear you cheated half the time."
          "Did not."
          "Did too."
          This went back and forth for what seemed like forever and soon it was time to make our leave. We hopped into my ship and flew back to the Reef after dinner. We ended up sitting in her throne room for a bit longer. "So since I Killed an Archon or whatever from the House of Devils, doesn't that make me their Kell?" I asked. She laughed and sat in my lap. Resting against me. "Well let me answer your question with another question. Do the Fallen of the House of Devils listen to you?"
          "No."
          "Then no. You're not their Kell. Then again I don't think they'd stay loyal to a Guardian for very long."
          "I guess you do have a point there. But just imagine it. Parrish. The Kell of the House of Devils."
          She laughed at my statement and sat up. "I doubt that would actually last very long." She said. I started to brainstorm for a bit and then it hit me. "That's it! Just imagine this. Parrish, The Doubted. No no no, Parrish, The Loyal." I said a bit excited at the thought of being a Kell. "Variks is already The Loyal. You're gonna have to pick something else." She said. I sat there and began to think but soon we heard the chamber doors open up. It was Uldren. "What are you two doing?" He asked. Mara started to hop off of my lap but I kept her still. She was still a bit nervous being close to me in the presence of her very territorial brother. "We were just enjoying the last bit of our date Uldren. And it would be nice if you learned to knock every once and a while." Mara said. He began to walk forward towards us. "I couldn't help but hear laughter of another human and your little discussion. I thought I could give a little input. "Parrish, The Deathwalker." That has a better ring to it, don't you think?" Uldren said. I looked at him and my facial expression changed from being cheerful to being slightly disrespected.
          "It's rude to talk about those who were misguided by the light to constantly learn from the likes of death. The Deathwalkers are those who were blinded by the study and rituals of Taboo. Something Osiris was exiled for. At least in speculation." I said. "So what? You all just jump off a cliff and stay dead for a bit longer than normal and then come back completely changed? Is that it?" He said. Mara stood up and so did I. She could sense me getting slightly angry. "Uldren...that's enough." She said trying to calm the situation. "Don't try and baby that Devil. I'm actually curious. Didn't you have a Warlock that was particularly good at this sort of thing? He was lost or something according to humans. His name started with a 'T' or something." He said beginning to ponder. I knew who he was talking about instantly. The only Warlock that was exiled for his dark and unnatural thirst for Hive lore and studies of the night. "Toland, The Shattered One." I said. That name alone sent chills down my spine. His story is a tale to truly behold. "He was someone who specialized in becoming a Deathwalker. He loved being in the dark." Uldren said.
          "Because of this he was exiled. But he knew the logic of the Sword."
          "And what did that do for you?"
          "It made us stronger. We applied it to what we know today and it even helped us get an edge against the fight against Crota."
          "And which he failed."
          "But his death was not in vain."
          "But at least this time it was permanent."
          I snapped. I walked over to him and grabbed him by the throat. My free hand channeling void energy as I held him over a small chasm in the queens throne room. She gasped to see my reaction. "How's about you try and come back from something you don't fully understand?!" I shouted. All was silent and Uldren just laughed with barely any breathing room. "Go on. Show us your true nature..." he muttered. I calmed down and took in the situation. I took a breath and then released him. "Being a Guardian means experiencing death and with a Ghost to bring you back shortly afterwards. In most cases a Warlock, in theory, doesn't need a Ghost. For some of us it's a blessing. For others...it's a curse. You'll never know what it means to be one of us." I said. I started to make my leave but of course he had other words to say. "If it's a curse, then why not pass it on? Let others know what it means to be a Warlock? A Deathwalker even?" He asked. I stopped and looked over my shoulder. "Uldren. Even a guy as dim witted and annoying and anger inducing as you are, I wouldn't wish for you of all people to have the fate of a Deathwalker. It's a path that once you start, there's no going back. And it always ends in Darkness." I said. I left the queens chambers and shut the doors behind me. Taking a breath to try and calm myself.
          Alex appeared and floated next to me. "The ship is ready. Sorry that the last part of your date was slightly ruined." He said. I sighed and hopped into my ship. "It's not your fault. I just take who I am pretty seriously. Just like how they do. Ya know?" I said. I made my way back to Earth and went to my room. Taking off my clothes and slipping into some shorts and a T-Shirt. Lying onto the bed. "Ya know Parrish, The Doubted doesn't sound too bad if you ask me." Alex said. I smiled a bit. "What about Parrish, The Forsaken?" I asked.
          "Forsaken by who though?"
          "You got a point Alex. What about this one. Parrish, The Forgotten."
          "Sounds like something an isolationist would come up with. You're not that."
          "Maybe better suited for Uldren."
          "Hehe. Good one."
          "Uldren, The Hated."
          "Uldren, The Crybaby."
          "Uldren, The Annoying."
          "Uldren, The Overprotective."
          I laughed and cut out the lights. "Good one Alex. I'll keep that one for him and tell him next time I get a chance." I said. Alex floated over to the radio and played some nighttime Jazz music for me. It always put me right to sleep. During the night, I began to have bad dreams. The whispers from Crota's realm were starting to become louder. I saw green smoke and energy but soon it slowly turned to black and white. I heard more whispers and then I heard the word "Taken" over and over and over again. I sat up in my bed. Gasping for air. The radio was still playing and it was nearly two in the morning. I slept for a solid five or so hours. "That...that was weird..." I said to myself. I lied back down and went back to sleep. Not really thinking much of it.