Chapter Fourteen

"The Cryptarchs are overjoyed, Guardian. An entire hidden Archive full of Vex research. Even chronicles of the legendary Vault of Glass. Perhaps this will finally help us crack its riddles." (Grimoire: The Archive)

Me and Gold went to the food truck that was in the city. I had bought some new clothes and got everything I needed to actually seem like a human being. We got our food and sat down at a nearby table. I ate like there was no tomorrow. "So. What are we gonna do?" Gold said. I drank some of my soda and let out a loud burp. He look at me for a second and then laughed. "Well. My idea is to gather a team to help us take out this Gatelord. Of course I'm gonna want you there but I feel like you'll be better off searching through the Academy for the Archive that Rahool was talking about."
"Who's gonna go with you to the Gate Lord?"
"I have a few friends who may be able to help." I said. I ate a few fries and drank the rest of my soda. "You'll go with me to Venus, I'll look for any extra information on the Vex, you recover the Archive, and once we have a clear target we all will converge and kill this thing."
"And the Vanguard?"
"They don't have to know until everything is done. We just need to keep our heads down and stay quiet." I said. He agreed and soon Ox showed up. "You two heading back?" He asked. I looked at him as he sat down with us. "Yeah. I need the head of a Vex Gate Lord." I said. "What can I do to help?" He asked. "I need as much information on the Vex as possible. Once we know what we're up against I can better tackle this situation. This is gonna be a huge operation that I want to launch with a full team. Possibly four people." I said. Ox looked at Gold and then back at me. "We only have three people. We're gonna need one more. Anyone know a guy?" He asked. Gold scratched his head. "Hmm...I know a guy in the Crucible that could help but he's busy. Not sure if I could reach out to him." Gold said as he bit into his food. I thought to myself, wondering who in the solar system could aid us in this mission. Then it hit me. "I know a guy." I said. "You do?"
"It's a stretch but I'm sure he'll be willing to help us out. He's a Guardian that I met in the Reef."
"Is he friendly?"
"For the most part yes. I'm sure I can convince him." I said. "Then its settle. We're a fireteam now. Parrish, you go and see about our mystery partner. Me and Gold will go and find any information on the Vex." Ox said. "Nice to meet you by the way Ox."
"Likewise Gold."
"Alright. We've got a plan. We move out tonight. Gold, you go and investigate the Ishtar Academy for information. I'll head to the Reef to find out fourth." I said. Ox stood up. "I know about an outpost on Venus that can give some extra details on the Gate Lord. I'll go there and send you anything I find." Ox said. I smiled and stood up. "Alright everyone. I'll meet you all on Venus later on this evening. You all have your assignments so stick to them. Understood?" I said. They nodded and we all went our separate ways. Ox went to his spot in the city, Gold went to the library, and I went back to my room in the Tower. I sat down and took a breath. Alex appeared and floated in front of me. "Are you sure you're ready to do this? You'll be going against the Vanguards orders and rules." He warned me. "I'm more than ready. I'm not gonna stand by and be treated like a child. I'm going to the Reef to convince Royal to assist me." I said. I got my armor and weapons and made my way to the shipyard. "I thought everyone was leaving around night time." Alex said. "By the time I get to the Reef, Ox and Gold should be on Venus doing their various tasks. Once I get Royal they should be done." I said. I walked into my ship, sat inside and fired up the engines. We made our way to the Reef once more and I wasn't escorted by a squadron on ships threatening to shoot me down. I hopped out and went to Royal who was off in the distance against the wall. I walked over to him.
"You look bored." I said. He looked over at me. "Nah. Just chillin. I'm fine." He said. I looked around at the quiet and empty space that was surrounding everything. "Well...wanna help me out with a mission?" I asked. "Look kid, if you're looking for someone to help you take out that Gate Lord count me out. I'm not getting involved with human affairs." He said. I looked at him like he was crazy. "You won't get involved with human affairs yet you're a human yourself. That's kind of a contradictory don't you think?" I said. "Even if it is I'm not gonna bother with it." He said as he looked away. "Alright but you're missing out on all the glimmer." I said. I began to walk away and right before I got to my ship he stopped me. "How much we talkin?" He asked.
"It depends on if you can put in work. You'll get a share of the rewards. I have a team on Venus right now currently gathering information that we need to find the Gate Lord." I said. "Wait, a team?"
"Yeah. A team. Don't tell me you do everything solo. That's lame."
"Just about as lame as people not knowing what they're doing half the time."
"Well lucky for you, you'll be in a team of fully experienced Guardians. So will you help?" I asked. He sighed. "Fine, I'll help you."
"Awesome. Grab your stuff and let's get moving. By the time we arrive on Venus we should be good to go." I said. He went off to his little room and got his gear and soon was ready for a fight. We got in our ships and made our way into space. I called Ox. "Ox here. What's up?" He said. "I have our fourth. Any decent info for me?" I asked. "Gold was able to extract everything needed from the Archive. He's heading back to the Tower to deliver the news. He'll meet us at the location of the Gate Lord. I've discovered a lot of information that you'd love to see if you're interested." He said. "Send it all to my Ghost. I'll be boots on the ground soon." I said. Ox hung up and I contacted Gold next. "Hello?"
"Gold, it's me. Are you on your way back?" I asked. "Yeah. I was able to see the Cryptarch and give him all of his information and data. I'm on my way back to Venus." He said. "Alright. Once I meet up with Ox I'll send you my coordinates."
"Alright. See you soon."
I hung up from the call and soon me and Royal arrived at the landing beacon on Venus. Once we hopped out of our ships we took off to where Ox was. "So Parrish. What are we looking at here? Any information that we should know?" Royal asked. "Alex, do you have any of the data that Ox or Gold send you?"
"Yes I do."
"Search through everything. Keyword: Vex."
"You got it...done. I've gathered all of the important parts of the information that has been given by Ox. The Vex minds are extraordinary. All of their minds connected as one just like you said before. Most of the different minds and processes are linked together by the Black Garden but even then their power source will continue to thrive even if we destroy it. The Vex can move themselves through time and very much mess with the very fabric of time itself. Throwing everything and everyone out of alignment. The Vault of Glass has different areas and different ways to escape our timeline with the guardian of the Vault being Atheon. A very powerful Vex mind that lies deep within. When it comes to the Vex Gate Lords, these are the only ones that can travel to the realm of the Black Garden and access its heart. They're it's protectors." Alex said. "And we have to kill one of them and take its head as a prize? The Vex aren't gonna like this very much." Royal said. We continued on our drive through the woods and forests of Venus until finally we reached our destination. Ox stood by waiting for us. I got off my sparrow and looked at the huge staircase that lead up to what seemed to be a giant disk with Vex energy appearing off of it.
"So. I'm assuming you're the fourth that Parrish mentioned." Ox said. "Yeah. My name is Royal."
"Well it's nice to meet you Royal. Let's get a move on. We don't have much time. Gold already contacted me and told me he was on his way and would be here shortly." Ox said. "Alright. Then let's set up camp until he gets here." I said. We agreed and made our way up to the top of the structure. Me and Ox stood over the edge of the huge structure like area that held various electronic structures and a few robotic bodies of the Vex. While I was speaking with Ox, Royal decided to wonder around the area. Everything was fine until the ground started to shake furiously. Ox fell over and I stumbled. I turned around to see Royal standing in the center of a white ring. "Royal!!" I shouted to him. He looked over at me and ran over. Soon the giant structure began to build what seemed to be a giant robot. It was the Gate Lord. It stood tall and strong. It looked over at us and it's single red eye shines brightly. It aimed its gun and began to open fire. The blast sent us in various different directions. Ox fell off the side of the platform and landed in the water below. Royal ended up going down the steps and I hit a pillar. It let out a loud mechanical roar as I scampered back behind cover. The Vex Gate Lord stood tall. Royal soon came over to me.
"Ok. I'll take the blame for that one." He said. I rolled my eyes even though he couldn't see it and began to shoot at the giant machine. It fired off rounds of explosive Void energy and the splash damage ended up hurting us. Suddenly there were three shots fired from far down the stairs. Ox had used his Golden Gun but it wasn't enough to puncture the metal on its body. I pulled out my sniper and zoomed in on the beast but before I pulled the trigger I saw the white crystal in its chest. "That's it's power core!" I said. I opened fire on it and soon it became staggered; stumbling backwards as Royal, Ox and I pushed up the hill. Soon we saw a ship zoom through the sky and drop someone off at the bottom of the steps. It was Gold. "Get down!" He shouted. He began to glow purple and then threw a Novabomb up the stairs. This one didn't fall due to gravity. Instead, it went flying fast and straight towards the giant machine. Hitting it square in the chest. The beast fell down and was quickly about to get back up. Everyone else began to open fire on him. He was weakened but soon a Vex army came out of the disk like portal that was behind it. They began to push us back down the stairs. "Anyone else got a Super that they can use?" Ox asked. Royal suddenly dropped his guns and began to glow blue and sparked powerful electricity. "Hey Parrish. This is called a Bladedancer. Watch this." Royal said. He channeled his energy and an electric blade formed in his right hand. He charged into he massive wave of enemies; zipping back and forth like lightning and taking out the enemies one by one until each of them were cleared out of the area. He came back to cover and his electricity and his little dagger faded away.
"That was awesome!" I said. Suddenly we heard the roar of the Gate Lord. It was standing once more. The Novabomb and Golden Gun did some decent damage but we had to finish it off for good. We each began to fire upon its power core. It began to become overwhelmed with force and soon stumbled. His systems sparking and his gun falling out of his hand. I took the oppertunity to finish it. "Please work." I said to myself. I began to build up energy not knowing what would come out. I flung my arm forward and threw a Novabomb of my own. Smaller but it was able to travel great distances and at incredible speeds. It reached the robot in seconds and the impact on its core caused an explosion. Shattering his body into pieces as it cried out in pain and defeat. The portal behind it began to shut down soon after the fight was over. We all looked at eachother and then celebrated. We had just done what people thought to be impossible. We slew a Vex Gate Lord. "Drinks on me!!" Gold said. "You guys go on without me. I have some business to attend to. Alex, can you grab that head?" I asked curiously. "Yeah. I can dematerialize it and store it until we get to the Reef." He said. I high fived everyone as Alex gathered the head.
"I'll meet you guys at the Tower in a little bit." I said to everyone. Alex joined me and we walked to my ship as it floated overhead. "Be careful out there." Ox said. I smiled and teleported inside the ship and we took off to the Reef. "Alright Uldren. I have a gift for you." I said to myself excitedly. Soon we arrived at the Reef and once I landed, Alex and I made our way back to the Queens chambers. I took off my helmet as we walked down the long walkway to the throne. Uldren still standing there with his sister. The Queen made eye contact with me. "It is back. And it still has its ball." She said. "Did she just call me a ball?" Alex said to me. I stopped at the foot of her throne. "There is no shame in running away Guardian. I've heard it's quite common with you and your kind." Uldren said as he laughed. "We didn't run." I said. He stopped laughing and looked at me. The Queen became curious. "Was no Gate Lord slain brother?" She asked him. "Oh we slew a Gate Lord." Alex retorted. I looked over at him. "Alex, show them our trophy." I said. He floated to them and made the head appear and it landed with a loud thud. Uldren was shocked and the Queen even more so. She stood on her feet and observed the mechanical remains of what we had brought to them. "We need to get into the Black Garden." I said once more. Uldren stood near me. The Vex head between us. "You, Guardian, are really pushing my buttons." He said. "What are you gonna do? Scared of a Devil?" I said as I looked at my bond on my shoulder. He grabbed a knife off of his side and began to cut his way through the head. It was like he was reaching for something inside. He plucked out the Gate Lords eye and held it up. It was cracked and worn out. Soon the red light faded and Uldren smiled. "Dead. An unfortunate and wasted journey I'm afraid Guardian." He said. "What do you mean dead? Is that the key?" I asked.
"Yes it is. Without it being fully charged you will never be able to reach the Garden. Let alone its heart." He said. I sighed but then the Queen spoke. "Uldren. Brother. Hope may seem lost sometime but it seems like this human is resourceful. We gift it. In sympathy for their Traveler." She says. I smile slightly as Uldren turned slowly. A bit agitated that he's working with a human. He held the eye in his hand. "Mars. 32 North. 48 East. Meridian Bay. You can charge your eye there." He throws the eye at me and I catch it with ease. "Thank you." I said happily. The Queen approached me. A smile on her face. "I am Mara Sov. Queen of the Awoken. I have shown you benevolence Guardian. When the time comes I will call on you. And expect you to answer." She said. Her name immediately rang alarms in my head. I saw memories of us as kids, teenagers, adults on Venus at the Ishtar Academy. I remember her face during the Collapse as she told me to protect her. I felt horrible. She had been corrupted by the Darkness and now she stood before me alive and breathing. A Queen. And she didn't even recognize me. "I understand. Your grace." I said. I bowed slightly and made my way out. Once the chamber doors shut and I got back into my ship Alex spoke to me. "Are...you alright?" He asked me. "I...I don't know...that was Mara. And she's an Awoken. She didn't even...she didn't even recognize me...I promised her that I would protect her. And I didn't..." I said. Alex flew the ship and I held my head in my hands. I felt awful and Alex could tell.
"Well none the less, this fight isn't over. We still have to stop the Darkness before it goes any further." Alex said. I sighed and sat back in my seat. "Yeah...maybe you're right."