Chapter 58 - New Friends

I sat down on the bed and starred at where the little girl, Lucy, had committed suicide. It had been a week since the incident. My cell phone buzzed. I took it out and looked at who was calling. "Light?"

"Hey (Y/N), I just wanted to see how your family holiday is going?"

"Umm yeah, good."

"(Y/N), why did you lie to me?"

"What do you mean?"

"I'm not stupid. Your family is still here in Japan." Crap, he found out. I had been careless and forgot to tell my parents to go somewhere else. Luckily they know that L was meant to be dead but alive to the rest of the world. "(Y/N)?"

"Uh, sometimes people need to be alone. I just need time."

"But don't you want to catch Kira with us, to avenge his death." That sadistic piece of...

"I hate you!" I growled and hung up. Even though L was not dead I still hated his ego.

"Is everything ok?" L asked as he walked through the door.

"Yeah, it's just Light." I looked up at him. "Please tell me you've got some good news."

"Well I wouldn't think of it as good news but we have a new lead." I sat upright and focused. "We have found the origin of this threat."

"Where is it."

"Back in Japan." I sighed.

"Well, I guess that's our holiday cut short."

"Yes, we leave tomorrow at 3:00 pm. That means we will arrive in Japan at midnight."

"Smart thinking. I'll start packing." I dragged out my suitcase and packed all of my things away, leaving some clothes out for tomorrow I then zipped up the case and left it by the bedroom door. The door swung open and hit me in the face.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry." It was another girl except I would have to guess that she was around fifteen. She had long golden hair pulled back into a ponytail. She wore a black jumper that went all the way up to the top of her neck. She also wore black skinny jeans. I held onto my nose in pain.

"I-It's ok. I shouldn't have been standing so close to the door."

"No it's my fault. I should have knocked first." She peered behind me. "L?" He turned his head to face her the stood up in his chair and walked over to her, hands stuffed in his pockets and slouched. I looked at him.

"Do you know each other?"

"(Y/N), do you remember the old lady from the ice cream place. Well, this is her granddaughter." He paused. "And Watari's."

"Huh?"

"Watari and Mrs Maugary are married. She didn't take his name for her own protection."

"What protection."

"Another story for another time." I nodded and turned back at the girl. She narrowed her eyes and then smiled.

"You're Japanese!" She said in fluent Japanese.

"Impressive, when did you learn."

"It's my speciality, I'm Joy." She smiled sweetly at me. I was so relieved that someone else could speak Japanese. I liked this girl, maybe I would gain another friend. "L is practically my uncle." There was a knock on the door and the boy named Mello opened it up.

"Dinner is..." He trailed off with confusion. "Joy stop speaking different languages, it's so confusing!" She crossed her arms and turned to him annoyed and spoke to him in English.

"I'm speaking Japanese with my new Japanese friend, get it right Mello!" He rolled his eyes.

"Whatever, dinner is on the table." He slammed the door behind him.

"What is his problem."

"He doesn't like what he doesn't know." I nodded and we left for the dining room. Everyone was sitting at the table and digging into their meals. There were four spots left. I sat down next to Joy and L. We continued our discussion in Japanese.

"Where is Near?" I asked.

"Oh, him. He speaks Japanese as well but he never sits with us." L had moved his plate to the side and started pouting until a cart of sweets was rolled next to him. He smiled and started shoving food into his mouth. Joy and I started laughing at him. "Does he always eat and sit like that?"

"Yep." I chuckled. We spoke much more Japanese conversation and Mello glaring at us. "Did you know Lucy?" She shook her head.

"Not much. Not a lot of people like me."

"Why's that?"

"My parents are still alive. I'm an outsider, I don't fit in here but it's the only way I can get my education. I'm too smart for normal schools and Watari is my grandfather so it's just easier for me to go here."

"That's understandable." After dinner L pulled me aside.

---------------------------------

IMPORTANT NOTE: This chapter (58) and the next chapter (59) are best read together right away as it is a straight continuation. The next chapter is sad, don't worry no one dies. It's something else.